Collaborative CAD platform

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gflorent

Re: Collaborative CAD platform

Post by gflorent »

nemesis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 am another question.
as far as I understand it display the brep of the freecad file, so I guess it is why, on a single file, with a single body, when we are suppose to see only one part, there is also other "part" displayed?
Yes, the approach to display the BREPs zipped in the FCSTD file is too naive/simplistic. I have to improve that, at least taking the visibility (defined in document.xml I guess) into account.
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

nemesis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 am what is the Error 500?
Something went wrong during the conversion from FCSTD format to JSON (for three.js) format. Some case that I did not anticipate...I will investigate.
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

Mostly, from this super-alpha v0.001 prototype that is unstable, buggy and super-imperfect (which only merit is to be there), I am trying to gauge if a github-like platform tailored for CAD solves a real-life problem for CAD oriented enthusiasts, engineers and designers that wish to work together (obviously, I believe so since I am working on it, but always willing to hear what others have to say!). If so, I believe that the FreeCAD community can be a great guide to work in the right direction.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

gflorent wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Something went wrong during the conversion from FCSTD format to JSON (for three.js) format. Some case that I did not anticipate...I will investigate.
don't investigate too much.
I guess this is because this is the "assembly file ' aka a simple container, so there is no brep inside. So I guess this why it raise an error
As I said, develop under ASM3, so not a "standard FreeCAD file
gflorent wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:55 pm Mostly, from this super-alpha v0.001 prototype that is unstable buggy and super-imperfect (which only merit is to be there), I am trying to gauge if a github-like platform tailored for CAD solves a real-life problem for CAD oriented enthusiasts, engineers and designers that wish to work together (obviously, I believe so since I am working on it, but always willing to hear what others have to say!). If so, I believe that the FreeCAD community can be a great guide to work in the right direction.
Sure I completely understand that, no offense. it is already a huge improvement... as there is nothing out there ;).
keep going on your good work!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

This look very interesting though beyond my understanding.

So one of the use is uploading a FC file and the model can be shown to every people without an installation of FC and/or without the model file?

It is supported by three.js?

Somehow seem slow on a mobile - glTF would help?

Thanks!

Screenshot from 2018-12-02 23-23-47.png
Screenshot from 2018-12-02 23-23-47.png (274.33 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

paullee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:27 pm
So one of the use is uploading a FC file and the model can be shown to every people without an installation of FC and/or without the model file?

It is supported by three.js?
Yes, that's one of the possible uses. The FreeCAD file only has to be pushed to the server, just like you push a code file/project to Github.
Yes, three.js is used for performance reasons over x3dom. Thanks for suggesting glTF, I will have a look.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

gflorent wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:10 pm
Yes, that's one of the possible uses. The FreeCAD file only has to be pushed to the server, just like you push a code file/project to Github.
Yes, three.js is used for performance reasons over x3dom. Thanks for suggesting glTF, I will have a look.
Thanks for explanation.

I am not a programmer, but is what you are doing an open-source project?

BTW, there is a WebGL export in FreeCAD which I am not sure of anything related.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3914
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

microelly2 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:51 am
I get this error when I display a FreeCAD-file which contains only a mesh.
Meshes and ASM3 files are not handled yet. I will try to support meshes. Maybe ASM3 is already stable enough to consider, what do you think? Anyway, I just unzipped an ASM3 FCSTD file, and it seems it carries copies of the BREPs from the Linked objects. So, it should have worked (but it doesn't), I will add such a file to my test-repo and see how it fails.
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

triplus wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 am Sounds ambitious and therefore good luck.

P.S. If you are interested likely a contribution directly to FreeCAD code and to improve WebGL viewer/exporter could make sense. As the result i see on the mentioned web site looks good. And therefore if FreeCAD could produce such WebGL exports by default. That would be great.
Thanks for wishing good luck !
The WebGL export I use is PythonOCC based (mostly an adaptation of code from T. Paviot). If PythonOCC was still reachable from FreeCAD, life would be easy;-) Yet, adapting the PythonOCC way to FreeCAD should be possible since the APIs, though different, carry some common logic. I add that to my 2019 todo list!
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

paullee wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:18 pm
I am not a programmer, but is what you are doing an open-source project?
Yes, the web platform itself is a fork of Gitea at https://github.com/osv-team/gitea. It uses other projects at https://github.com/osv-team.