[Feature Request] Object Split enhancement

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PlaneAnimal

[Feature Request] Object Split enhancement

Post by PlaneAnimal »

Hello,
New to Freecad, but I see an opportunity to improve the user experience and efficiency of use. Not a programmer, so cannot judge how much work this entails.
Consider an imported BOX_TOP.stl file which is imported and converted to a solid (Top (Solid)). There is a need to re-design a portion of the Top (Solid). This involves cutting a protrusion and stretching it. This video demonstrates https://youtu.be/36RPTGBAark.

The steps needed make the cut create a "Slice" entry in the info tree. The feature/enhancement would be to have FreeCAD populate the tree with the entries "Top1 (Solid)" and "Top2 (Solid)" made visible so that the user can continue to edit the shapes.

Thank you

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Object Split enhancement

Post by chrisb »

Besides the fact that you have to create a solid from the stl, what you ask sounds like the Part Slice operation with a subsequent Part CompoundFilter.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hmm, how about a "Slice and explode" command?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 pm Hmm, how about a "Slice and explode" command?
+1
I think I proposed it already somewhere, because if I slice I almost always want to get the pieces. Otherwise it would be a cut. I didn't receive much echo so I did not make a feature request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PlaneAnimal

Post by PlaneAnimal »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:54 pm Besides the fact that you have to create a solid from the stl, what you ask sounds like the Part Slice operation with a subsequent Part CompoundFilter.
Indeed that is correct. That is what I'm doing with the part and it works. But my view point is more of an efficiency of use. You see if I want to slice a solid, that means I either want to extract that portion or modify a section of it. Either way if the sliced pieces show in the info tree (hope the term is correct), then I can continue to work on the part(s) without the CompoundFilter additional steps. In fact I would put forth having to apply the CompoundFilter is forcing the user to do extra work which is not natural.

If I cut a piece of cake, why would I hide the cut piece ? The cut is made so it can be used, eaten, and for the refined person , on a serving plate and not bitten off the cake dish. (humour).

This is not whineing or complaining, just looking at it from an efficiency view point.

Thanks
PlaneAnimal

Post by PlaneAnimal »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 pm Hmm, how about a "Slice and explode" command?
That would be the idea. No need to "Slice and explode" because the act to slice automatically implies transform into 2 or more pieces. But yes, that would be the idea.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I tend to agree. If I slice an object, I would expect it to separate the result into separate objects...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Normand, you have the most experience in 3D modeling; it would be great if you write a feature request.
PlaneAnimal

Post by PlaneAnimal »

I would be glad to do a write up if someone points me in the right direction. Hec, I would write the code if I knew how.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For the issue read here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5236 and make it a feature request, not a bug.

As for implementing it: it should be possible in pure python. You can give it a start with what you learn from the python console.

For the GUI I'm not sure what I would like to see, because we have multiple parameters and multiple output. Usually the result of a Part operation is an additional node in the tree. Having multiple results the question is if they should live beneath the "Slode"(=Slice and explode) object together with the source object and the slicer? Or should it be inverted as it is now with multiple objects on top level having the same stuff underneath?