FreeCAD funding.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
more10

Re: FreeCAD funding.

Postby more10 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 pm

I have a small business. I am prepared to buy a support contract through my business. I will need a proper invoice for bookeeping though. I can spend 300$ a year on a support contract. Here in Sweden the taxes are quite high, promoting spending in the business.

If you get enough support contracts maybe you can affort taking some time of your regular jobs and do FreeCAD development.

How many users do you have? How many of these have their own business?

MÃ¥rten
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm

A word on funding,
its a hard topic.

Basically our little venture has two cost factors (so to say). The platform we use (sf.net) and the programmers and community members donate their time.

The first expense is at the moment 0, cause sf.net offers its platform (and most notably download pipes) for free. But
if that change or we forced on a different platform (self hosting), we could need money to run that platform (servers, download bytes).

The other expense is harder. Most people donating its time to the FreeCAD project, are paid by companies for their day to day work.
The do FreeCAD for fun and to work together toward something desperately needed (FOSS 3d CAD) and for the appreciation.
If you put our work into numbers ( http://www.ohloh.net/p/freecad/estimated_cost ) its a tremendous amount of money.

So if we would have income, how to split it!? You could only do wrong! If we are vital in the future for the big players. Maybe
Airbus build the 381 with FreeCAD ;), maybe the main developer get hired. But till then I think we live it as hobbyist.

And, I don't like support contracts! That means to devote you to the opinion of your paying percent, not doing you think is right for all.
OCC shows how that work out. Your piss your community!

But thats my opinion! I would like to hear different opinions!
Stop whining - start coding!
ickby

Postby ickby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Just a small idea that popped in my head: If ever there is some money to spare, why not using it to enhance opencascade. I mean this is a essential part of freecad whith quite some bugs and limitations where the core team has limited to no influence in and expertise on. So money could be useful spent for fixing bugs by OPEN CASCADE S.A.S. This would utilize money where all spirit and determination by the community wont do any diffrence.
Last edited by ickby on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Around Blender, now, lots of people feel the need to grow some organized structure of professionals who work with blender, and can offer blender-related services ( http://www.blendernetwork.org/ ). This is something not endorsed by the blender foundation, but very complementary. I think in the future the same kind of "professional community" could easily develop around freecad, and offer services such as doing freecad jobs or offer support (I recently saw a freecad job on http://www.odesk.com ).
clintonsam75

Postby clintonsam75 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 am

Blender receives government funding.
Last edited by clintonsam75 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
cblt2l

Postby cblt2l » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:47 pm

jriegel wrote:But thats my opinion! I would like to hear different opinions!
What about something similar to Crossover/Wine?
CrossOver is developed by CodeWeavers, based on Wine, an open-source Windows compatibility layer. CodeWeavers modifies the Wine source code, applies compatibility patches, adds configuration tools that are more user-friendly, and provides technical support. CodeWeavers employs several Wine software developers, and contributes source code to Wine. Release of code modifications are obligatory under Wine's software license, the LGPL.