Suppress Feature

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Will2

Suppress Feature

Post by Will2 »

I remember when I was using Inventor years ago it has a feature called "suppress feature" that you could apply to a feature to in essence delete it while not really doing so, so you can unsuppress it and it will be back again. I recently thought about it while designing something that uses a couple multi-transform features that take long compute times. It would be handy to suppress the multi-transforms until I needed them while still being able to compute most of the model (instead of using the "skip recomputes" feature to forgo all recomputes until I tell it to)

Seems like something that would be easyish to implement, give the feature a flag that makes the solver skip over it.

Is there a way that anyone has made something function like this in FreeCAD?

Currently what I did was delete the offending feature after writing down all the properties needed to add it back again when the design is complete.

Much appreciation to everyone who works to make this an awesome program!

Will
herbk
Veteran

Re: Suppress Feature

Post by herbk »

Hi Willi,
dosn't hide a part by using the space bar doing what you want?
Gruß Herbert
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

That feature also exist in creo s i understand what you mean.
The feature don't exist in FC at the moment...
I guess it is more difficult than you think! If you are able to create that feature it would be great. If you want to try that i would start creating it for the part design workbench. Most other wolkbenches it is more complicated to create it.
I think the main reason we don't have that feature is 'topological naming'. Than have you at least something to read ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:03 am I guess it is more difficult than you think!
It cannot be that difficult, but you have, of course, to bear the consequences. It is similar to rearranging the sequence of features. If it is possible to move a feature from its place e.g. to the end it should well be possible to ignore it.
The consequences are all the well known toponaming issues, but with a well planned model it should work. And I think it can be indeed sensible for time consuming features like helix sweeps or patterns.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I agree. I think all parametric CAD programs have this option, except for FreeCAD.

So! Who's writing the feature request? :D
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I did it. issue #0000402 (look at the ticket number)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 am (look at the ticket number)
So this obviously had to wait for the so called PDN to come true.

In Path workbench single operations can can be switched on and off with the boolean property "Active". It seems sensible to me to use the same property name in PartDesign.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:13 pm In Path workbench single operations can can be switched on and off with the boolean property "Active". It seems sensible to me to use the same property name in PartDesign.
Or the property get renamed to suppress(ed)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:34 pm Or the property get renamed to suppress(ed)
It would be good to have a visual feedback. For several reasons I would prefer to have an overlay icon with the same technique used for the tip; here it might be a red X.
CCryder

Post by CCryder »

If you're using the pattern features, you can just reduce the occurrences down to a few. Then when you're ready, you can return them to the desired values.