Bounty to fix Topo-renaming (poking bears with sticks)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OldDraftsman

Re: Bounty to fix Topo-renaming (poking bears with sticks)

Post by OldDraftsman »

bejant wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:49 am To me that analogy in the subject title is especially disrespectful and offensive.
It means no disrespect, it is an expression that probably does not translate well if one is in a different country and I failed to consider that.

"Origin of Poke the Bear
This expression comes from the imagery of what would happen if a person literally poked a bear.

Imagine if someone found a sleeping bear. That bear would remain harmless if the person left it alone. However, if the person walked over, poked the bear, and woke it up, it would start a big problem.

This expression gained popularity in the latter half of the 1900s."

By using that term, I had hoped to raise some interest in the idea of fixing the Topo mess.
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am You'll get credibility with actual coding and pull requests. ;)
Umm, we have been down this path before and my response is still the same. I am not interested in coding and pull request to fix someone else's programming code. Ask any good programmer and they will assure you that fixing other's poor code is a certain recipe for disaster.

For me, a re-write would be the only option and I do not have the time, skill nor inclination for that. I am very impressed with the coding of the good parts of FC but it is well outside of my area of coding expertise. So, pull-requests from me will have to remain in the shadow of "cheap talk" then.
I'll give you this, I really miss Jürgen Riegel, the project's founder - he disappeared a few years back. He had the moral authority to assume the leadership position and resolve development issues.
In my early days of programming I was a regular contributor to many projects including the Netscape Navigator browser (the what? {grin}) but I quickly fell foul of the consensus notion for "good" software. Direction decisions were being made by the loudest participant and eventually wore people down where they conceded just for a quiet life, or even chased them off. Invariably a lot of great programming skills were lost as good programmmers left the fold. I suspect that might be what happened with Mr. Riegel.

I am reminded of a wise old phrase, "A camel is a horse designed by a committee." A camel is a very useful animal for travelling long distances at a slow and steady pace, but if you are designing a racehorse, ending up with a fast camel is not a good solution. :)
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

In a search I found this.
Postby DeepSOIC » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:19 pm
realthunder has implemented proper toponaming in his LinkStage3 branch, I think this issue is likely solved there. https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases
Using Assy3 I tried my "three_blocks" test and it passed. See pic. I create 3 blocks (using face attached sketches) and constrain horiz/vert with external geo to the previous block. Then to test; using the properties of the sketches (sketch001 & sketch002) I change the angle from 0 to 180 incrementaly and watch the constriants. It's a brutal test, as I change sketch angles the constraints modify the attached block because of the external geo constraints. I do get some multiple solid errors because of stuff getting out of range, they heal right back once the solid gets back together.

If I try "three_blocks" in normal FreeCAD it has topological errors in just a few degrees of angle change of the middle block.

Wow! That is cool. I still have an issue with Assy3, for some reason it won't highlight faces, I will bring that to a post in Assy3.

oldDraftsman, this might be your fix. You can spend your money on fixing something else. :)
Attachments
Three_blocks_jpg.JPG
Three_blocks_jpg.JPG (41.02 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I just installed Assy3 on my workstation and I couldn't draw hardly anything. I reset my config files and everything seems to work fine, something to keep mind. It could be that Assy3 has some added data in the configs.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

freedman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 pm You can spend your money on fixing something else. :)
Or, if this implementation is working well, you can make the donation to realthunder, there is a donate button https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3, if you are unsure about it yet, maybe then when it gets in to the master. :)
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Or, if this implementation is working well, you can make the donation to realthunder, there is a donate button https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3, if you are unsure about it yet, maybe then when it gets in to the master. :)
Yes! I agree. It's just one Paypal button away.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

For whoever is interested in improving TopoNaming situation. Whenever you experience TopoNaming issues in FreeCAD download latest Assembly 3 build and test your use case again:

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases

Whenever results are worth discussing, open a separate thread, explaining your use case and the detected differences between FreeCAD and Assembly 3 builds. Providing an example file usually helps too.
antoniovazquezblanco

Post by antoniovazquezblanco »

I am also willing to throw some money in to help the person who finally solves the topo issue.

I would like to point that time ago I tried to push fordward discussion about how to organize funding for FC in a more "institutional" way in the thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12242

I would like to encourage people in this thread to help find viable solutions and ideas in order to make this process better for everyone.

Thanks!