Status of Assembly3 on New years 2019

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Status of Assembly3 on New years 2019

Post by freedman »

Hi,
The last time I used Assy3 (about 6 months ago) there was so much going on, really cool looking stuff like placing copies of assemblies with points. It looked amazing and I was excited about using it some day, I say someday because I use FreeCAD for work related stuff so I can't use something that is mostly unpredictable. It looks like maybe things have settled down. I opened my largest model in Assy3 Part design and it works fine, I see some big changes to the topological naming of faces on the status bar and I have done some testing with success, my model looks stable and I plan to start using Assy3 every day. I will keep a copy in case I need to go back to normal Part design but I hope Assy3 is stable enough to stay in there.

I write this just to start some questions for the programmer of Assembly3, realthunder. I'm sure realthunder is thinking about assembly stuff all the time but my questions here are going to be based around using Part design in Assy3.

1) If I start a model in Assy3 Part design will it transfer back to normal FreeCAD Part design?
2) Forever hopeful, do you think there will be any speed increase?
3) Are the config files modified in a way that we should be concerned, would doing a reset be helpful?
4) The topological errors, it would appear that problem has been addressed and hopefully fixed, is that true? Wow!
5) Are other FreeCADDers building your project?
6) Is there anything I should do to my model designed with normal FreeCAD as I trasnfer it to Assy3?
7) How's the paper work coming along? :) Manuals are always the last thing to do.
8) I know there is always more to do, do you think the program is at a point where you stop and we test?

That's probably plenty to start.

Thank you and congratulations on your progress. Impressive.
Last edited by freedman on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Status of Assembly3 on New years 2019

Post by triplus »

freedman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 am 1) If I start a model in Assy3 Part design will it transfer back to normal FreeCAD Part design?
No, there is no such guarantee in real life. ;)
7) How's the paper work coming along? :) Manuals are always the last thing to do.
Documentation is rather good:

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3/wiki
4) The topological errors, it would appear that problem has been addressed and hopefully fixed, is that true? Wow!
Yes, we need more end users detecting the differences and to be vocal about them. That is provide demonstrations on where it does and where it doesn't work for them in real use cases.

P.S. As for the status. I would say it's still single and hopefully that will start to change in FreeCAD 0.19 development cycle. I guess some sane strategy, on how to tackle it, will need to be figured out first. We are progressing in this regard, but slowly.