[feature request] sketcher make

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee

[feature request] sketcher make

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:59 am

abdullah wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm
ping
I have a feature request for dimensioning of the thickness of two concentric circles.
I now need a workaround for this(see attachment) that work. Better would be if it works directly out of the box. see also example in creo
sketcher_dims_improvement.PNG
sketcher_dims_improvement.PNG (16.6 KiB) Viewed 366 times
sketcher_dims_improvement_creo.PNG
sketcher_dims_improvement_creo.PNG (11.04 KiB) Viewed 366 times
chrisb

Re: [feature request] sketcher make

Postby chrisb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 am

This seems to be a reasonable feature. The workaround is not too complicated, but looking funny on arcs, if the construction line doesn't touch the arcs:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-11 um 10.24.28.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-11 um 10.24.28.png (12.11 KiB) Viewed 358 times
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Isn't this offset curves?

They are scheduled for v.19:

issue #3668
easyw-fc

Postby easyw-fc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 pm

abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm

They are scheduled for v.19:

issue #3668
that would be wonderful!
like creating a sketch as an offset path from an enclosure outline automatically ;)
enclosure-offset.png
enclosure-offset.png (504.6 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm

abdullah wrote:
Yes and no... for small thinks it is as fast to create 2 circles as create circle with offset
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Jee-Bee wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm
abdullah wrote:
Yes and no... for small thinks it is as fast to create 2 circles as create circle with offset
Ah! I did not realise that you were actually creating both circles in creo.

So you are looking for a new constraint "difference between radius".

Although it may seem as a simple thing, it is really not. It is also not generic, as it would only work for circles, i.e. it requires an implementation per each shape to be supported. Additionally, I think there are geometric shapes were an offset curve is not the same type of curve as the original one, the offset of an ellipse is not an ellipse if I remember correctly.

Unless I am understanding it really bad, this should go with a single click one the offset curve functionality is in.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:31 pm

abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm
I No not per se. Just an angular or linear dimension used on both circles. In FC it gives now an error "no circular edges"
abdullah wrote:
Although it may seem as a simple thing, it is really not. It is also not generic, as it would only work for circles, i.e. it requires an implementation per each shape to be supported. Additionally, I think there are geometric shapes were an offset curve is not the same type of curve as the original one, the offset of an ellipse is not an ellipse if I remember correctly.
Sorry i don't know the background but i guess if two circular shapes (so no offsets) it should be more easy to distingish than a circle and his offset.
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Jee-Bee wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:31 pm
abdullah wrote:
I No not per se. Just an angular or linear dimension used on both circles. In FC it gives now an error "no circular edges"
Like two radius constraints, the second having as datum an expression "radious1+thickness"?
Jee-Bee wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:31 pm
abdullah wrote:
Sorry i don't know the background but i guess if two circular shapes (so no offsets) it should be more easy to distingish than a circle and his offset.
I am not sure how offset curves will look like yet. An offset curve is kind of a geometry and a constraint with respect to another geometry. I am still to think the actual implementation that work best with OCCT and the solver.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 pm
Like two radius constraints, the second having as datum an expression "radious1+thickness"?
No i think you understand me wrong. I want the result of what you named "difference between radius", but i don't like to heave a new constraint. I prefer to do more with less. all different buttons create just clutter. how to handle this (from user point of view) is a different topic!
But if for now a "difference between radius" constraint is needed i accept that :D
abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 pm
I am not sure how offset curves will look like yet. An offset curve is kind of a geometry and a constraint with respect to another geometry. I am still to think the actual implementation that work best with OCCT and the solver.
I think in CREO it just create the same type of feature when creating an offset. But it creates bsplines curves from geometry(except maybe straight lines). As i said i have no clue about OCCT but i would guess that it knows what type of line you use for offset (straight line, arc or bspline). So i leave that to you ;)
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm

@abdullah
In most CAD software's sketcher functionality, you can constrain to circles and arc's cardinal points (north/south/east/west). So in the case shown by Jee-Bee, it's just a simple horizontal distance constraint between the east quadrant of both circles.

Not so simple to implement in the Sketcher, I guess. This is similar to people who regularly ask for a way to constrain to a line's midpoint. None exists in the Sketcher.

BTW Yorik managed it in Draft with his Snap tools (as well as snapping to cardinal points).