Macro Automatic drawing

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc

Re: Macro Automatic drawing

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 am

triplus wrote:As i understand above info basically Y - axis switched orientation?
No, Luke said he would make that change in his branch, not master, ...until Luke's branch hits master.

Like Ulrich said there was a bug or series of bugs in the drawing wb, yeah, off the top of my head I think Tanderson was one who fixed the issue but many discussed it, also since Luke is rewriting most of it, the old one has been left alone...mostly. The bug was due to what I said about the different standards...at its core...because we have to translate stuff when it is put on the drawing and the old translation was wrong...it produced an incorrect result that was not always obvious, but was a serious problem.

0.13 release was to provide consistency hence it is called stable....the 0.14dev branch is where all the development happens where disruptive changes can often happen that's why its called unstable. This may have upset your old drawing but the chances are if you look closely enough at your old drawings you might find examples of the old bug showing up.
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Well what ever the change was it is already there in master ATM. Something did change already in the master that affects my macro to produce wrong (different) result. And opening older .fcstd files with drawing in it confirms this. Views are positioned differently.

As i said for isometric example it used to be:

Direction 1,1,1 Rotation 60

And now it is:

Direction 1,-1,1 Rotation 60

And as i see it indeed Y - axis switched orientation and that happened in master and not in branch from Luke.
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

It looks like this:

Direction 1,1,1

Works too for isometric. I did not test extensively to pin point what exactly changed but something did change in master and views are not positioned the same anymore with the settings used in the past.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:01 pm

triplus wrote:It looks like this:

Direction 1,1,1

Works too for isometric. I did not test extensively to pin point what exactly changed but something did change in master and views are not positioned the same anymore with the settings used in the past.
Yes there was some changes a few months back, a bug fix, I can't remember exactly when of the top of my head.

By the way, if you know a file in the source code that has been effected by a change, you can quickly find that change in a gui by using "git cola" and searching for commits that touch a given file.
ulrich1a

Postby ulrich1a » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Triplus, as you allready said, there is a need of writing the FreeCAD-version into FreeCAD-documents. This may allready exist. I do not know. And then at every change of FreeCAD, it has to be considered, if the backwards compatibility is broken and if something additional has to be programmed to maintain backward compatibility.
So in this case this was forgotten. Not all free time coders have all times everything in their view. And then this is an open source project with limited coding resources.
I fully aggree, that you have a valid point, that is not the question.
If you think, that your old drawings should also open correct with the actual or a later version, then just do a bug report. Someone may pick it up and codes the solution.
If your macro is published in the macro recipies, additional points have to be considered.

Ulrich
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:50 pm

ulrich1a wrote:need of writing the FreeCAD-version into FreeCAD-documents. This may allready exist. I do not know. And then
Yes, it already does, if your curios, its line 5 of "Document.xml". :)

If you go to tools menu and select "Project Utility..." you get a little tool that can extract and recombine the fcstd files. If you extract a fcstd file you will see the file Document.xml, which being an xml file you can open it in a text editor.

This is the first five lines of an blank new example file.

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!--
 FreeCAD Document, see http://www.freecadweb.org for more information...
-->
<Document SchemaVersion="4" ProgramVersion="0.14R3386 (Git)" FileVersion="1">
	<Properties Count="14">
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Basically yes i understand everything you wrote. For this particular case i am not searching for solution because i am guessing FreeCAD 0.13 files containing drawings will not be compatible with FreeCAD 0.14 when new DW lands.

But after new Drawing Workbench lands i guess at least for fundamental changes on "administrative level" like switching Y - direction this should be handled for older files in newer FreeCAD too. But yes resources are limited and probably backwards compatibility will still be broken sometimes i understand that too.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Soft bump to figure out what the status of this issue #956 is?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm

In general when it comes to Drawing WB and feature requests. This wasn’t decided yet what is the future of Drawing WB. And what reference does feature request made against Drawing WB have against TechDraw. That is i guess if feature request against Drawing WB should be moved to become feature request against TechDraw if TechDraw doesn't have it yet.

The only decision made i know of is both Drawing/TechDraw modules will be part of FreeCAD 0.17. Therefore i am guessing until that changes feature requests and issue reports still make sense for both. If you get different instructions from one of the core devs do that instead.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

triplus wrote:In general when it comes to Drawing WB and feature requests. This wasn’t decided yet what is the future of Drawing WB. And what reference does feature request made against Drawing WB have against TechDraw. That is i guess if feature request against Drawing WB should be moved to become feature request against TechDraw if TechDraw doesn't have it yet.

The only decision made i know of is both Drawing/TechDraw modules will be part of FreeCAD 0.17. Therefore i am guessing until that changes feature requests and issue reports still make sense for both. If you get different instructions from one of the core devs do that instead.
Thank you for the response. Not fully easy to understand but I think I get the gist. Notated the ticket with your response. Cheers!
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features