About color consistency.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fcaduser

About color consistency.

Post by fcaduser »

Hi FC people.

I'm satisfied with all the default color tuning (sober and neat), except one thing. I noticed that solids generated from a sole operation (revolution, extrusion, etc) have edges and vertexes displayed in white (which color I reserve to sketches.) For the sake of consistency, could it be set that all solid's edges and vertexes will be colored black (this happens when solids are yielded from a succession of boolean operations) ? I can of course change them by hand, but it's fastidious.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: About color consistency.

Post by chrisb »

It seems that PartDesign respects the colors defined in Preferences->Display->Part colors, while Part does not. It helps to distinguish between those two creation methods, but I would like to have the black lines too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

BTW, you don't have to to change the color for every single object, you can select several objects and change the view properties for all together.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

I have a huge project within every part generated with Part (and none with PartDesign.) Yet there is the difference I'm spotting.

PS
Actually each feature (Revolve, Extrude, etc) holds it in white. If I do for example a Cut=(Revolve - Extrude), the the solid switches to black. But in an assembly the same part is still in white. Not very coherent.
Last edited by fcaduser on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

@chrisb

There are situations multiple selections (with shift) don't apply the color to every object selected (even if the blue background is activated.)
Last edited by fcaduser on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

What happens is that all Part-based tools generate shapes that adopt edge and vertex colour of their parent object. Sketches by default have white edges and white vertices; therefore, Part shapes based on sketches (Extrude, Revolution...) have white edges and vertices.

If you don't want that, a workaround would be to change the default edge and vertex colour of sketches to black in Sketcher preferences. This affects only their color when out of the sketch edit mode.

Unfortunately, this will only work for newly created objects.
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

Ok, but don't you think all edges and vertexes from a solid should be painted black, whatever the process used to generate this solid ? I don't see any reason not following this coherent and simple scheme, anywhere.

And I want to keep all stuffs related to sketches in white, to have a clear distinction.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

fcaduser wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am Ok, but don't you think all edges and vertexes from a solid should be painted black, whatever the process used to generate this solid ? I don't see any reason not following this coherent and simple scheme, anywhere.
That's your opinion, and I happen to share it, but who's to say that we should impose this view to others? I've downloaded a lot of models from other users on the forum, and I noticed that some of them have set the edge and vertex colour of objects to another colour than black. Maybe they would not like for this behaviour to be changed.

In context of the Part workbench, the current behaviour could be considered coherent.

I would say that more people need to provide feedback on this matter.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To be consistent with Part and PartDesign, we could have preferences for the Part colors too.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

But there is already a Part colors tab in Preferences/Display.

The more I think of it, the more I think fcaduser is right. If the user can set default part colors, it should actually control colors of all parts created in the GUI, not have a different behaviour in Part workbench.

I wonder if it would be possible to add a checkbox "Inherit colors from parent object", for those cases where you set different part colors than the default. But it would need to affect all workbenches to have consistency, maybe it would not be an easy task.