FreeCAD Trails Workbench (Transportation and Geomatics)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: Geomatics Workbench

Post by Joel_graff »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:00 pm I think FreeCAD need a fix that works for all workbenchs.
I agree, but this is a problem at the scenegraph level - Coin3D uses single-precision floating point and since the next option (OpenSceneGraph) is the same, there's no way to really fix it.

The solution, if it can be accomplished, lies in data segmentation, I think. And I think how the data gets divided up really depends on the type of modeling that's being done. I could be wrong about that, though.

In any case, before a general solution can be proposed for FreeCAD, it needs to be prototyped. And really, I think this problem is really limited to the sort of datasets that you and I work with - geospatial stuff. So if a solution is to be implemented, it should be done here.

In any case, I'm willing to at least kick it around a bit and see if I can make something work - but I need your dataset to do that - and maybe an example post, showing exactly where the errors appear.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

The WB looks promising and thanks there had been lots of works. Hope something can be done ? :(
Giovanni Bianchessi

Post by Giovanni Bianchessi »

On my Mac (macOS 10.13) and FreeCAD_0.19-17681-OSX-x86_64-conda-Qt5-Py3 this WB does not work "out of the box"
When Freecad starts (from terminal) a couple of errors are shown:
- name __file__ undefined from init.py
- ICONPATH ... (sorry, but at this moment I can't remember the error)
... and the Geomatics workbench is not loaded.

In order to avoid those errors and made the workbench to run I have made some modifications borrowing the techinique from another, working, workbench:
- renamed file init.py to Geomatics_locator.py
- deleted the few lines of code and left only the commented header
- Modified the file InitGui.py as follows:
class GeomaticsWorkbench ( Gui.Workbench ):

import os
import Geomatics_locator
GeomaticsPath = os.path.dirname( Geomatics_locator.__file__ )
ICONPATH = os.path.join(GeomaticsPath, 'Resources/icons')
#print (ICONPATH)

I don't know if it is the right way, but now the Geomatics Workbench is loaded in FreeCAD.
I activated it and its toolbar has shown up, and I suppose, since I have no data to test it, it is usable too.

Regards
Giovanni
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Giovanni Bianchessi wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am I don't know if it is the right way, but now the Geomatics Workbench is loaded in FreeCAD.
I activated it and its toolbar has shown up, and I suppose, since I have no data to test it, it is usable too.
Unfortunately, it seems as though @HakanSeven isn't supporting the Geomatics WB anymore. Your fix shouldn't be lost, however.

I recommend submitting a pull request to his github repo and see if he merges it.

If not, I will fork it so we can merge the code there, unless you'd like to be the Geomatics maintainer, of course. :)
HakanSeven12 wrote: ping
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

Giovanni Bianchessi

Post by Giovanni Bianchessi »

I have no idea of what Geomatics WB should do.
Only for the sake of curiosity I have modified the code to make it run.
But I am not able to be a maintainer.
So if you want, go on.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

ok. I'll try to integrate your changes.

Thanks

bidandou

Post by bidandou »

HakanSeven12 allows added me as a collaborator to the Geomatics Workbench Repository.
A want to continue working on the WB. My vision is to have functionalities similar to : I will also try to fix any bug.
For more information, I create a TODO file in the main repository.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

bidandou wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm HakanSeven12 allows added me as a collaborator to the Geomatics Workbench Repository.
A want to continue working on the WB. My vision is to have functionalities similar to : I will also try to fix any bug.
For more information, I create a TODO file in the main repository.
:clap:
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 am ping
bidandou wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm ping
Hi, I'm editing the Release notes 0.19 page. I'm including your workbench. It would be nice if you could post in this thread a single image that showcases your workbench. It doesn't have to be very complex, but something that attracts potential new users. In the Release notes 0.19 page, go to "Additional workbenches" to see some images used. For example, the image used in the "CurvedShapes Workbench" is quite good, as it shows what it is intended for. The image should be big enough, like 600x400 px, although it will be displayed at 400 px width. We don't want it to be too small and blurry.

I've considered using the images already posted in this thread: imported terrain, curves by sections, but maybe you'd like to showcase something in particular.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

vocx wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm curves by sections
You can use this images.