FreeCAD Trails Workbench (Transportation and Geomatics)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Re: Trails Workbench (Transportation and Earthwork Workbench)

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Update: You can extract contours from surface with this code. Just send object to python console and run this:

Code: Select all

import Part
Part.show(obj.ContourShapes)
Update2: Alignment, Section and Guideline recomputations speeded up.
baswein

Post by baswein »

Next step grade to surface from building pad?
How would that work? I'm not a programmer or even an engineer but here is a process that I can imagine working.
For areas that all cut or fill grading would be the same:
  1. Assign a desired cut and fill slope for polygon.
  2. Check if each vertex is above or below the existing ground surface. (it might be better to check if the tin line created in step 5 intersects with the existing ground surface)
  3. Offset edges horizontally some large distance like 1000ft (or meters if you live in a sensible place).
  4. Move the resulting vertexes up or down the distance required to create the appropriate slope.
  5. Tessellate between the 2 polygons
  6. Intersect and merge with existing surface.
Sounds so easy :D

Of course it would be even better to be able to have different edges have different slopes but that makes my head hurt even more.
Would it be the start and end of each line in the boundary?

Or would a cut/fill profile be the way to go that is swept along the edge? That would be really powerful!
Last edited by baswein on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

baswein wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:16 pm Intersect and merge with existing surface.
Other steps are easy but this one can be difficult.
Of course it would be even better to be able to have different edges have different slopes but that makes my head hurt even more.
Would it be the start and end of each line in the boundary?
Or would a cut/fill profile be the way to go that is swept along the edge? That would be really powerful!
Lets firstly integrate a basic one then we can think about it :) Maybe we can use a start and end stations to seperate areas.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Guidelines and clusters are changed with regions. Cross Sections changed with sections.
Attachments
regions.png
regions.png (15.4 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:16 pm
Joel_graff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 pm
Hi. Can you take a look to your arc geometry? Because sometimes arc.get_points() function doesnt return the last point of arc object.
Sorry I've been absent. The last few weeks have been busy for me and I've not really had any time to work on FreeCAD.

Anyway, do you have an example that I can use to reproduce the issue?

The other option would be to get the arc's "End" property, which should be the last point of the arc. At very least, I can add a quick check at the end to make sure the end point is added.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

No problem.
You can test it with alignments that I give to you. You can see the bug at the every arc end.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

WIP: Building pads. You will be able to create pad surfaces for your buildings.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/52523486
Attachments
building pad.PNG
building pad.PNG (138.69 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
eccioloste

Post by eccioloste »

Dear Hakan,
I am a little late answering your question "what would you like to see in trails?".

From my personal perspective, once the alignment tool will be working (and it would be great to get the alignment working as a parametric sketch), it would be nice to have a profile tool which helps fix the altitude of the sections parametrically through the grade of the road.

It would be useful to make the section geometry work as a sketch, and modify it parametrically.

I will try to show you how I work through these steps without using trails

STEP 1: I draw a sketch of the planar alignment of my structure (You can see the sketch is on the xy plane)
step1.JPG
step1.JPG (151.62 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
step1_b.JPG
step1_b.JPG (138.96 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
STEP 2: I draw sketches of my structure (road, embankment, tunnel, bridge... it can be anything you want) and place them "NORMALTOEDGE" Mapmode, i manually handle the altitude which is the height from the xy plane of the alignment sketch.
step2.JPG
step2.JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
STEP 3: Once i have drawn all my sections I create a LOFT
step3.JPG
step3.JPG (104.41 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
As you can see my work will never be complete unless I use another software to evaluate the intersection between the loft (Volume of the object i draw), and the surface. Software which are basically "trails workbench"...
I read that it is now possible to create contours from any part object, I must try that!

Hope my observations helped somehow!

Cheers!
Francesco
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Im not so familier with alignments but maybe I can take a look for this.
eccioloste wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am I read that it is now possible to create contours from any part object, I must try that!
Its not creating contours from part objects. Its just export contours from trails surfaces.
baswein

Post by baswein »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:07 am WIP: Building pads. You will be able to create pad surfaces for your buildings.
That is really exciting! I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to make sure that this work flow could use the building pads from what is used in Arch toolbox.