FreeCAD ElectoMagnetic workbench at the Free Silicon Conference, Paris

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ediloren

FreeCAD ElectoMagnetic workbench at the Free Silicon Conference, Paris

Post by ediloren »

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that I have been invited to speak about the electromagnetic parasitic extraction in the open source context at the Free Silicon Conference 2019 to be held at the Sorbonne University in Paris on March 14th-16th, 2019.

In this venue, among the other topics, I'll be presenting the ElectroMagnetic workbench we developed for FreeCAD, as a sound technical solution as well as a virtuous example of a sustainable business model (as we developed it under private company sponsorship, under the agreement to have it open source). Needless to say, it would not have been possible without FreeCAD.

Here's the links to the sponsoring foundation and to the conference wiki:

Free Silicon Foundation: https://f-si.org/

Free Silicon Conference (FSiC) 2019: https://wiki.f-si.org/index.php/FSiC2019

Abstract of my speech at the FSiC 2019: https://wiki.f-si.org/index.php/Open_So ... Extraction

Video recordings of the presentations (as well as presentation materials) will be available post-event, if anybody is interested.
I'll keep you posted.

Ciao,
Enrico
freedman
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD ElectoMagnetic workbench at the Free Silicon Conference, Paris

Post by freedman »

Excellent! I have a job coming up that uses a magnet and a Linear Hall Effect. The magnet will be detected and ramp a motor to a stop. I was hoping to try out the Workbench and compare it's results to the empirical data.
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

I'm just back from the event, and I wanted to give a short overview of what happened at the Sorbonne Université last week.

Overall it was very exciting, and I enjoyed the quality and the level of the speeches, and the competence of the speakers. Open hardware is not a new topic in itself, but fully open integrated circuit design is a difficult goal to achieve. Needless to say, I made a nice reference to FreeCAD in my speech, even if that was not the main topic of the presentation in itself.

FreeCAD_at_FSiC.png
FreeCAD_at_FSiC.png (481.07 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Of general interest, even outside the strict domain of IC design, I believe I can reference you to:

- The discussion about CERN Open Hardware License (simplifying: what GPL is for sofware, OHL is for hardware)
- The start-up presentation of a collaborative site for open HW development, even if they refused to answer my question about their business model..

of course I encourage everybody to check also the other presentations. In particular, I enjoyed these ones (more specific about electronic design):

- The Broccoli (!) presesentation about KLayout (I pointed out there's no pizza with broccoli in Italy, but Matthias told me that's actually to encourage kids to eat broccoli - so I had to agree ;) )
- The OpenRAM presentation
- The Raven chip creation (implementation of a RISC-V core)

but I must say that this is just a personal selection, all were worth listening to!

The recordings are not live yet, but I believe they will be soon. In the meanwhile, I post here a photo of us in the venue during one of the breaks. Hope to repeat next year!

Cheers,
Enrico

FSiC_Sorbonne_Mar2019_scaled.jpg
FSiC_Sorbonne_Mar2019_scaled.jpg (691.11 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Excellent!! Curious to see the recording!

I have several of mines, we could make a kind of "FreeCAD talks" channel somewhere...
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

Hi All,

the videos from the Free Silicon conference are out!

In particular, my speech at minute 22:26 mentions FreeCAD, and the ElectroMagnetic workbench we developed and is now fully available in the add-ons.

I believe that all the videos of the conference are very valid and worth watching, if you have any interest in the free HW and silicon development, even if they are not strictly related to FreeCAD itself.

@yorik, definitely it would be interesting to have a "FreeCAD talks", it might be a wiki page with the links to start with, unless anybody has a better idea (FSiC made a 'peertube' dedicated channel for instance, to avoid resorting to youtube or other 'advertised' platforms)

Ciao,
Enrico
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Great talk @ediloren! Only understood part of it :D
I'll setup something on the wiki and collect what we already have..
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Actually, for better visibility we could have it on the FC website ?
Or maybe a link from the site to the wiki...i guess that's a better solution as to not break convention.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs