name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by triplus »

After 14 years GParted has reached 1.0.0.

After 15 years:
Inkscape 1.0

(definitely not released yet - AnnouncePlanning1.0)
P.S. Soon FreeCAD won't have much competition anymore in this regard! ;)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

triplus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:09 pm P.S. Soon FreeCAD won't have much competition anymore in this regard! ;)
Yes, Inkscape 1.0 is almost ready and by the way it is great - just today I worked with it for some hours.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

up :oops:
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Next release already named as 0.20 in Pull Request tags: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulls

But I still hope to change name of the next release to 0.91
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:44 pm But I still hope to change name of the next release to 0.91
Better than 0.2 (which is soo far from 1.0), but not as good as 1.0 :mrgreen: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

+1 to '1.0' or at least '0.91' :D
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Guys really, wishful thinking, really. 0.91 sounds like an appropriate number for a 1.0 beta. We are a long way off that. Just some of the obvious things first (just off the top of my head), :)

Assembly WB in master,

better work arounds/solutions for topo naming,

I know it's OCC but fillets are not great,

also we get a lot of STEP imports that produce invalid solids, it happens a lot so although I admit that I don't know much about it, I am wondering how much of that is FreeCAD/OCC.

speed (and possibly file size) optimisations for large projects

better multi-document support

Possibly project file version control

Some defined minimum for CAM support, Path is great but I have no idea what minimum level of functionality it should have or if it is even there yet but still...

TechDraw, I assume it's due to toponaming, changes to the model tend to ruin the dimensions.

Better FreeCAD wide measuring system

Perhaps better add on version control in the add on manager, so for example you would get a warning when trying to add on a Python2 add on etc.

consider splitting add ons into "third party" and "officially supported" FreeCAD add ons, so that a user can have confidence that a add on will not go the way of Assembly2 etc. both in terms of "no longer working" and in terms of "compatibility", "certainty" of being able to read the files in years to come.

My personal suggestion is that if you really want to produce a real 1.0, then the first thing we need to do is change the way we work. We need to start attempting to drive the required development rather than the "whatever you feel like approach" that has admittedly served us well so far. I am not saying that we manage/demand like one could in a company/commercial environment, but we can "encourage" and at the very least "define" what we need/want, and hope that developers might look at that list and perhaps try to knock some of the item off the list.

If that is what we decide to do, then the first thing is to define what the specific "minimum" requirements are for 1.0, then advocate for the list to be worked on. I suppose before that we also have to decide what 1.0 actually means, to me it means a commercially usable feature "adequate" if not feature complete, application for a defined set of industries/use cases.

I also am a believer in that the features required for our "standard defined" industry/use cases, should be in master and not rely on vaguely supported third part add ons. But I would support segmenting FreeCAD such that you can install a minimal basic FreeCAD and then add the officially supported workbenches required for a specifically supported industry/work case, but without relying on 3rd party WBs for core functionality for those supported industries/work flows.

Anyway i have blabbered on enough for now. :)

Jim
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm Guys really, wishful thinking, really. 0.91 sounds like an appropriate number for a 1.0 beta. We are a long way off that. Just some of the obvious things first (just off the top of my head), :)

Assembly WB in master,

better work arounds/solutions for topo naming,

I know it's OCC but fillets are not great,
Version 1.0 is not the end, it's the beginning, and not everything has to be on par with the (very) big boys.
If that is what we decide to do, then the first thing is to define what the specific "minimum" requirements are for 1.0, then advocate for the list to be worked on.
This is a great proposal! If we can agree on that, I no longer insist on making FreeCAD 1.0 right now. But we should keep in mind, that 1.0 is the start, not the end.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:57 am But we should keep in mind, that 1.0 is the start, not the end.
Yes of course but it is the start of being a complete thing capable of being taken seriously, for a defined set of use cases/industries.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:26 am Yes of course but it is the start of being a complete thing capable of being taken seriously, for a defined set of use cases/industries.
may be just a look at https://star-history.t9t.io/#FreeCAD/FreeCAD will point to FreeCAD usability :D
FC-stars.png
FC-stars.png (87.23 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 19#p476752