name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by abdullah »

triplus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm FreeCAD as a project and as a software deserves it.
Would you go now for Windows 1.0 because it must be mature, it is version 1.0?

Do not misunderstand me, in the context of the moment, Windows 1.0 in 5,25" floppy disks running on a 512k 8086 was not that bad.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:29 am Would you go now for Windows 1.0 because it must be mature, it is version 1.0?

Do not misunderstand me, in the context of the moment, Windows 1.0 in 5,25" floppy disks running on a 512k 8086 was not that bad.
I'm not in mind Windows ever reached a level 1.0... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to topic... Only a number or a name can not show how complete or ready FC (or something else) is. For me it's now metter, because i know about it (FC).
For someone who uses / downloads FC first time a numbering by date (e.g. 19.03) would show that it is a current releas, but only if the downloadpage explanes the "numbering code".

Changing from 0.19 to 1.0 (or something different) is only god for the ego. I'm feeling better if things i made working well, - no mind how they called... ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:29 am
triplus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm FreeCAD as a project and as a software deserves it.
Would you go now for Windows 1.0 because it must be mature, it is version 1.0?

Unfortunately I found that many people at kicad forum think that FC is not 'mature' enough to be used as mechanical companion of kicad in ECAD MCAD collaboration.
Many of them just cited what FreeCAD site state at its download page:
Notes
Please note that FreeCAD has still not reached a version 1.0 status in our view, and might not be ready for production use.
So I think a 1.0 'graduation' release number would be useful to state potentially users that FreeCAD is mature enough for a job daily work.
Just want to remember that the all KiCAD 3D library (KiCAD 3D GH repo) is done using FreeCAD CADQuery scripts or FC hand made models and it is the biggest open source 3D library for electronics I have seen around ...
It is almost 10.000 models used by a very large user audience, without issues in different mechanical cads ...

KiCad is at 5.1.0 (http://kicad-pcb.org/blog/)
Blender is almost at 2.80 (https://www.blender.org/press/blender-2 ... ouncement/)
LibreCAD is 2.13
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:16 pm 1. should we drop the leading 0 in the version to communicate FreeCAD's maturity (and stop communicating its immaturity)
2. should we have a 1.0 release to communicate FreeCAD's readiness for wide usage
1. yes
2. yes
:D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If this helps with a decision: FreeCAD is already used for professional applications.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 am Many of them just cited what FreeCAD site state at its download page
I cannot blame them. We are saying it. They are just repeating.

Then maybe what FreeCAD site states at its download page is what should be changed ;)

Anyway, I should not worry too much. I live in the daily build anyway :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:52 pm Then maybe what FreeCAD site states at its download page is what should be changed ;)
Perhaps this is the key?
I think bernd's intent in his OP was to communicate FreeCAD is closer to 1.xx than 0.xx

Maybe we should say FreeCAD is starting to be used for production applications and FreeCAD may be ready for other production applications, although it may not be suitable for all production applications. I don't think we want to "oversell" where we are, but we don't need to "undersell" the progress the project has made.

And +1 to all the sentiments that without wmayer we would be up the creek without a paddle. Without his help there most likely wouldn't be Win builds to test.
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Maybe we should say FreeCAD is starting to be used for production applications and FreeCAD may be ready for other production applications, although it may not be suitable for all production applications. I don't think we want to "oversell" where we are, but we don't need to "undersell" the progress the project has made.
+1
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 pm Without his help there most likely wouldn't be Win builds to test.
there would no working FEM be either
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 pm Maybe we should say FreeCAD is starting to be used for production applications and FreeCAD may be ready for other production applications, although it may not be suitable for all production applications. I don't think we want to "oversell" where we are, but we don't need to "undersell" the progress the project has made.
+1 One of the reasons I started the discussion. I am tired of explaining FreeCAD is beta.

Is there a software suitable for all production applications? I assume no, because any software gets improvements even the best one.

Most closed software does exact the opposite. They oversell. At least in construction industry the seller tell you their CAD is able to do everything and all and whatever and you can do everything with it ...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 pm Perhaps this is the key?
I think bernd's intent in his OP was to communicate FreeCAD is closer to 1.xx than 0.xx

And +1 to all the sentiments that without wmayer we would be up the creek without a paddle. Without his help there most likely wouldn't be Win builds to test.
standing ovation! :D
wmayer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:34 pm
+1
standing ovation twice! :D
bernd wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm Is there a software suitable for all production applications? I assume no, because any software gets improvements even the best one.

Most closed software does exact the opposite. They oversell. At least in construction industry the seller tell you their CAD is able to do everything and all and whatever and you can do everything with it ...
standing ovation thrice! :D