name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by chrisb »

You name it! Thanks to all who made FreeCAD happen in its current state!

Regarding the growth of forum help requests we don't have to sell anything :D .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 am Unfortunately I found that many people at kicad forum think that FC is not 'mature' enough to be used as mechanical companion of kicad in ECAD MCAD collaboration.
Many of them just cited what FreeCAD site state at its download page:

Notes
Please note that FreeCAD has still not reached a version 1.0 status in our view, and might not be ready for production use.
I assume you are talking about this page...
https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php

to be accurate it does not quite say that. you have only quoted the first line.

This is what it says.....
Notes

Please note that FreeCAD has still not reached a version 1.0 status in our view, and might not be ready for production use. Nevertheless multitudes of users use it. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum.
Firstly that line says "might" not be ready, it does not say it "is" not ready. Which is pretty much what you are saying, "not over selling or under selling". that is pretty accurate I think. I think FreeCAD is great but its not feature complete and is still a 'work in progress".

The second sentence says
Nevertheless multitudes of users use it
the third sentence says
To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum.
Of course all the above could be re-worded. I think you guys would agree that something like the following might sound better

Development of FreeCAD is continuing at a rapid pace. Although in our opinion it has not yet reached a version 1.0 status, many have found FreeCAD to be production ready for their purposes. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum. Or maybe that is over selling a bit?

Jim
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm Of course all the above could be re-worded. I think you guys would agree that something like the following might sound better

Development of FreeCAD is continuing at a rapid pace. Although in our opinion it has not yet reached a version 1.0 status, many have found FreeCAD to be production ready for their purposes. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum. Or maybe that is over selling a bit?
I used "sell" in quotes because we are a project not a product.
Jim's is better than mine. Let's continue to refine this message!
"fight the good fight"
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm to be accurate it does not quite say that. you have only quoted the first line.
Because I'm receiving exactly this only part as an objection to adopt FreeCAD for designing...
That phrase is exactly what most people perceive.
I think the FreeCAD project is too much underestimated atm.
Last edited by easyw-fc on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm Development of FreeCAD is continuing at a rapid pace. Although in our opinion it has not yet reached a version 1.0 status, many have found FreeCAD to be production ready for their purposes. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum. Or maybe that is over selling a bit?
Phrased very good (as far as a non native speaker can tell) and not overselling at all.

Perhaps we should name our goal why it is not 1.0 yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm Phrased very good (as far as a non native speaker can tell) and not overselling at all.

IMHO we should focus on what we agree on. I think jmaustpc's wording is strong and accurate. I think that abdullah hit the mark. Where are we?, is easier to agree on, than where do we need/want to be. I agree that it's not "oversold".
"fight the good fight"
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm Phrased very good (as far as a non native speaker can tell) and not overselling at all.

That's pretty accurate and selling it quite well. It gives the user confidence that it's not a dodgy software project without a bunch of false expectations..
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm Development of FreeCAD is continuing at a rapid pace. Although in our opinion it has not yet reached a version 1.0 status, many have found FreeCAD to be production ready for their purposes. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum.
+1, that's a truthful and fair description.

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm Perhaps we should name our goal why it is not 1.0 yet.
Another +1.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm Perhaps we should name our goal why it is not 1.0 yet.
If the Development roadmap was up to date it could be linked, but it has not seen an overhaul since 2014.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Although in our opinion it has not yet reached a version 1.0 status ...
I do not agree here, because it highly depends on what you do with FreeCAD. For some workflows at my work FreeCAD has passed 1.0 years ago, for others not. Since we do not know what the reader would like to use FreeCAD for this could be highly underselling!