name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by easyw-fc »

wsteffe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:49 am But from the last replies of Bernd and Jee-Bee I am starting to think that the FreeCAD project is more like a joke than a project aimed to the developement of a CAD software. If it is so it means that I completely misunderstood the spirit of FreeCAD and you may go on playing with your funny joke.
1) fun doesn't mean joke!
wsteffe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:49 amUnfortunataly that is not enough to drive the development of a CAD product that aims to be considered at "production-level".
you are a FC form member since 2014, and mainly you have posted to Assembly related topics (probably what you are interested in, as what you are blaming against as user's behavior)
so it seems to me:
2) you missed many interesting topics about what could be done and in which way it could be done...
3) you haven't participated enough to forum and/or IRC compared to what you are actually blaming
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Zolko wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am

Code: Select all

© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2018
Who are these people ?
bernd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 am Jürgen is the father of FreeCAD, and as you may know father sometimes leave their childs ...
Werner is the brain of FreeCAD, without him FreeCAD would not be FreeCAD.
Yorik is the heart of FreeCAD.

For me these are very easy to understand positions. :)
thank-you for these answer to my first question. Would-you be so kind and answer the second part of the questions too ?

Zolko wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am How did they become the copyright holders ? How are they making decisions ? Where is it documented ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am Would-you be so kind and answer the second part of the questions too ?
Zolko wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am How did they become the copyright holders ? How are they making decisions ? Where is it documented ?
Actually I do not know. If you would like to have a serious answer on this question, it is best to make a new topic in open dissucssion and explicit ask for this. The only thing I know is, only these three have and in all FreeCAD history had write access to the FreeCAD code repository.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 am
Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am Would-you be so kind and answer the second part of the questions too ?
Actually I do not know. If you would like to have a serious answer on this question, it is best to make a new topic in open dissucssion and explicit ask for this. The only thing I know is, only these three have and in all FreeCAD history had write access to the FreeCAD code repository.
AFAIR there was a topic abot exact this ... Who is copyright holder of FreeCAD source code. I can not find it ATM. May be someone else does know better better than me how to feed google or duckduckgo.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

bernd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am Over the years we have seen dozens, may be hundreds of people telling us how FreeCAD has to be or how the future of FreeCAD has to be, but most of them never ever did contribute just one line of code or documentation or whatever.
Ok, you have catched me. I am one of them. Never contributed to FreeCAD up to now. That is because I haven't enough time even for the developement of EmCAD (a software project that I am very interested to). Actually it happens that I need an open software CAD to design the geometries for my EmCAD tool and for a long time I hoped that FreeCAD could fill that need.

Anyway, if you are just looking for fun and are not interested at all in serious CAD project (as you said in a previous post), I am not askinkg anything to you and I do not pretend to tell you how to play your joke. My post was addressed to somebody else which could be interested in a different (more professionally oriented) development plan of the FreeCAD software.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wsteffe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:40 am Anyway, if you are just looking for fun and are not interested at all in serious CAD project (as you said in a previous post), I am not askinkg anything to you and I do not pretend to tell you how to play your joke. My post was addressed to somebody else which could be interested in a different (more professionally oriented) development plan of the FreeCAD software.
Many people talk too much and listen (read) too little...

others just work hard like i.e. bernd which is the third contributor to the CAD you are (willing to use) using ;)
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/graphs/contributors
bernd-contributions.png
bernd-contributions.png (140.26 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wsteffe, you are trying to insinuate in a more or less subtle way that the development of FreeCAD is in some way inferior. Be it because developers have fun doing so (what you call a joke) or be it because there is no manager telling people what they have to do. If you want a serious discussion please refrain from those debasing attributes. It will lead to nothing but a heated debate going far away from any constructive discussion.

It is by far not wrong if people develop what they need. It is usually not something which is needed to finish a saturday afternoon's job, but something lurking for months, perhaps years to be started. And it turns out, as the discussions here show, that many others would like to see this solved too. If one person does something sensible for himself it can very well be used by many others too. Just to name a few recent developments: FEM, already mentioned by Bernd, TechDraw, Path. Great developments, used by a huge number of people. And who told the developers what and how to develop? Exactly, you have guessed it right: nobody. Except the community here around the FreeCAD forum as consultants.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:01 pm there is no manager telling people what they have to do [...] And who told the developers what and how to develop? Exactly, you have guessed it right: nobody.
You're not addressing the core subject that is at hand: FreeCAD does have some very serious issues to become a production-ready general purpose CAD system, is something going to be done about it, and how ? The issues are:

• a real assembly infrastructure
  • duplication of incompatible functionalities
  • core functionality (PartDesign) half-finished and unmaintained
  • based on obsolete libraries (Coin3D)
showing over-and-over again how much work is done in secondary functionality doesn't answer this. Or, if I read between the lines, the answer is: nothing is going to be organised, FreeCAD is a toy for week-end fun. If you want a real (semi-)professional CAD system look elsewhere.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm You're not addressing the core subject that is at hand: FreeCAD does have some very serious issues to become a production-ready general purpose CAD system, is something going to be done about it, and how ? The issues are:

• a real assembly infrastructure
  • duplication of incompatible functionalities
  • core functionality (PartDesign) half-finished and unmaintained
  • based on obsolete libraries (Coin3D)
The assembly infrastructure is there only it is not the workflow you want it. don't swap these issues.
All other points i have these issues too with my core CAD system. i run the second last version. My work pays i think 4-5k€ per licence + additional maintenance per year. But that software feels exact the same. I have to deal with '90 "menu managers". Related function work not the same. function that fail for no reason 20 times but at 21 for some reason it works... no enhancements or maintainments related to current funtions ... old features that disappear.
It is called CREO...

Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm showing over-and-over again how much work is done in secondary functionality doesn't answer this.
Complaining over and over again don't help either