Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

Re: Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Comment of @amrit3701 at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LI ... AAACnSXNZE

I added an option in UI to select number of legs of stirrup.
DialogBox2c.png
DialogBox2c.png (36.31 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

In coding part, we can create stirrups with appropriate number of legs by adjusting cover of stirrups.

But, what is the possible name for stirrup combination https://debug.pi.gr/BookimagesEn/01110.jpg in civil terms, which can also be implemented as above.

Regards
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 pm Comment of @amrit3701 at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LI ... AAACnSXNZE

I added an option in UI to select number of legs of stirrup.

DialogBox2c.png
Also, the alignment of the help button is not right. It should inside the inner rectangle with help icon or `?` symbol.
In coding part, we can create stirrups with appropriate number of legs by adjusting cover of stirrups.

But, what is the possible name for stirrup combination https://debug.pi.gr/BookimagesEn/01110.jpg in civil terms, which can also be implemented as above.
Six-legged stirrups.
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Comment of @amrit3701 at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LI ... AAACnSXNZA

With respect to second point, makeStirrup(), makeStraightRebar(), makeLShapeRebar(), makeUShapeRebar() functions creates its own rebars and all are the childs of structure element. Here which reinforcement object you are taking about? Do you means all rebars created with your UI are under some `group` object?
There will be an object under Structure object under which all rebars created using UI will come.
Suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:17 pm
Also, the alignment of the help button is not right. It should inside the inner rectangle with help icon or `?` symbol.
I updated the UI and related files are in attachment.

Six-legged stirrups.
OK, thanks.

Regards
Attachments
DialogBox3c.png
DialogBox3c.png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
DialogBox3b.png
DialogBox3b.png (29.98 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
DialogBox3a.png
DialogBox3a.png (36.21 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I just read your draft proposal @Suraj and this discussion here, very interesting!

My opinion: your definition of the problem to solve is very good: Designing reinforcing bars in FreeCAD is currently slow and requires many steps. It should be automated into some simpler, "all-in-one" operations. However, I have the impression that your proposed UI mockups don't really address this. They seem to me not very different, in terms of complexity, than the current ones of the rebar addon...

This is of course the main subject you propose to work on, so there is no need to have it solved right now, before even beginning :)

But I would suggest, maybe, instead of thinking "ui controls", to think "scenarios". Or in other words, think "wizards". Like, what would a structural engineer want to do? and identify these general tasks that that person would want to perform, ex. "I want to add rebars to a column", or "I want to add rebars to a beam", or to a slab, or "I want to design a completely custom rebar scheme", and study how you could simplify and automate the steps need to perform this task.

This is not necessarily a big change to your current plan, maybe more a question of refining how things are presented to the user, and developing it more like a "story" or wizard. I don't know if what I'm saying is very clear or if it makes sense... :?

Anyway, this is just an idea, not a requirement of any sort. Keep going!
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm . They seem to me not very different, in terms of complexity, than the current ones of the rebar addon...
Hi @yorik. I began to write a package for drawing concrete structures detail. it's at the start point, but at first i want to write a package that obtain coordinates of entities in drawing, for example beam shape, text, arrows and etc.
In the next step, we must able to import gui of model to freecad with information about structure shapes and analysis result from the user software that is vary from one software to another. but for example i want to write for ETABS.

also we must create dialog window in freecad for preferences, for example size of reinforcement to be used for each element, number of typical rebar in top and bottom of beams and etc. user must able to select beams to want to apply that preferences.

this is my github project:
https://github.com/ebrahimraeyat/pyconcrete

this is software that we use in our country (IRAN) to drawing such an output:
http://mohaseb2000.com/
http://www.saze90.com/about/drawing/beam/
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

yorik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm I just read your draft proposal @Suraj and this discussion here, very interesting!

My opinion: your definition of the problem to solve is very good: Designing reinforcing bars in FreeCAD is currently slow and requires many steps. It should be automated into some simpler, "all-in-one" operations. However, I have the impression that your proposed UI mockups don't really address this. They seem to me not very different, in terms of complexity, than the current ones of the rebar addon...

This is of course the main subject you propose to work on, so there is no need to have it solved right now, before even beginning :)

But I would suggest, maybe, instead of thinking "ui controls", to think "scenarios". Or in other words, think "wizards". Like, what would a structural engineer want to do? and identify these general tasks that that person would want to perform, ex. "I want to add rebars to a column", or "I want to add rebars to a beam", or to a slab, or "I want to design a completely custom rebar scheme", and study how you could simplify and automate the steps need to perform this task.
Hi @yorik
I am trying to understand the problem by discussing it with my Civil Engineer friends. Please point me if there is any related discussion available on the forum.

This is not necessarily a big change to your current plan, maybe more a question of refining how things are presented to the user, and developing it more like a "story" or wizard. I don't know if what I'm saying is very clear or if it makes sense... :?

Anyway, this is just an idea, not a requirement of any sort. Keep going!
Is there any special meaning you wants to convey with word "story" you mentioned above.

Regards
Suhel Mehta

Post by Suhel Mehta »

Hello everyone,
While adding reinforcement in a beam or column user need to add reinforcement to each beam or column one by one. But if user want to add same reinforcement in more than one beam or column then they cannot do this at once. Can we add a feature to freecad by allowing user to select beams or columns one by one and select each face for them and after that if user clicks on ok button then it adds reinforcement to selected beams or columns automatically? If it is possible to add this feature then I would like to work on it in Automate reinforcement project.
DDM

Post by DDM »

Hello everyone,

maybe a feature could be created with this steps:
1) Add rebars to an elements
2) Copy the properties of the element
3) Select all the elements with same section dimensions, length, rebars requirements from structural analysis
3) Paste the properties to the selected objects

Would be perfect if the pasted properties are "linked" to the original ones for automatic upgrade of the model.
Commercial softwares for structural detailing (concrete rebar and steel connections) have this feature.

Marco
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:44 am
Hi @yorik
I am trying to understand the problem by discussing it with my Civil Engineer friends. Please point me if there is any related discussion available on the forum.
After a discussion with my Civil Engineer friends, they liked the following idea:
:idea: For Column Reinforcement, we can have a list of prototypes of Rebar configurations, from which user will select any one and can edit the values related to that configuration.
And that list can be taken from "SP 34: Handbook on Concrete Reinforcement and Detailing" present at https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.s ... 7/page/n95

Due to time constraints of GSoC, I have plan to implement some of these prototypes, but can later add other prototypes also.

So, check if it seems helpful or not. Suggestions are welcome.

Regards