Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

Re: Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm
My next plan is to write function for "Custom Configuration" in Column Reinforcement. I am writing program for this and will share soon.
Today, I partly implemented function for "Custom Configuration" in Column Reinforcement. And related commit and PR is here: commit, PR

Now user can create secondary straight rebars along x and y direction with custom diameter for secondary rebars.

Sample Output:
CustomColumnReinforcement.png
CustomColumnReinforcement.png (15.34 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

Command:
CustomConfiguration.makeCustomColumnReinforcement(20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 90, 2, 20, True, 6, 20, 0, 0, "StraightRebar", "Top Inside", "x-axis", None, None, None, None, ("2#20mm+2#25mm+2#20mm", "1#20mm+1#25mm+1#20mm"))

Please review and give your suggestions.

Thanks,
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Looks good Suraj! Will give this a test run after the PR is merged...
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

@Suraj

Please share all the notes which we discussed in yesterday's meeting. :)
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 am @Suraj

Please share all the notes which we discussed in yesterday's meeting. :)
Yesterday, me and @amrit3701 has video meeting and here are the key points of discussion:
  1. Instead of taking input in FreeCAD's Task Panel, user will be presented with new popup window to enter data.
    This change is required because in future, when input data for rebars become more, then user needs to do a lot of scrolling to change even a single value.
    So, new UI looks something like below:
    NewUI1.png
    NewUI1.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
  2. In implementation of UI, we will create one main UI file and separate UI file for each selected menu item (like Ties, Main Rebars, etc.).
    1. Main UI file contains common UI fields for "Column Reinforcement" dialog box.
    2. All other UI files contains UI fields for their respective selected items.
    3. Other UI files will be loaded into Main UI file dynamically.
  3. In Ties section, user will be represented with drop down of number of ties along with small icon.
    In Ties section, there will be more than one section, equal to number of ties (say 3), and each section will be enabled or disabled depending on the selected number of ties.
    Related mockup:
    NewUI2.png
    NewUI2.png (34.1 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
  4. In column configuration, there will be nothing like "Custom Configuration", instead user can choose from presented column configuration and do customizations with that.
  5. We discussed about concepts that will be used for creating straight rebars in circular column. So, after completing rectangular column configuration, I will implement straight rebars in circular column.
  6. Rebars will be added in groups as follow:
    RebarsGrouping.png
    RebarsGrouping.png (17.79 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
  7. Each group contains property of type "Link", which points to list of rebars under it and will be disabled from editing. And in implementation of editing reinforcement, appropriate rebars will be selected with the help of this link.
@amrit3701
Please add if I missed something.

@All please review and give your suggestions for above.

Thanks,
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This seems good. I think the main criteria to decide if we need to use the Task system or a standalone dialog is: Do users need to keep interacting with the 3D view while using the UI, or, on the contrary, do they need to stop what they are doing to concentrate on the UI we want to show?

I think here it's clearly the second case, so using a standalone dialog seems right.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

It is very useful. I think some of entry such cover, size of ties and etc can be set in configuration in freecad's configuration or if we can save the UI entry of last input from user. this way, save a lot of user's time. thanks.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 pm or if we can save the UI entry of last input from user. this way, save a lot of user's time. thanks.
That's something I begin to use more and more. On quitting, save all you can that the user might not want to type again on next use. Check in Tools->Edit Parameters for a suitable location, but I would say Plugins/Reinforcement might be good. Then to save and retrieve a value:

Code: Select all

settings = FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:Plugins/Reinforcement")
# to set a value
settings.SetBool("myValue",True)
# to get a value
myValue = settings.GetBool("myValue",False) # the second argument is a default, if the value doesn't exist yet
Then on loading your dialog again, fill the values
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Hi @Suraj,

Just want to inform that this week I am less available (attending PyConCZ). So, if you have some urgent things feel free to ping me on Telegram or IRC.

Thanks,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

@ Suraj

On reviewing your current implementation, to make your work more useful to structural engineers / detailer, I suggest:

1. Practically, all tie covers i.e. left, right, top and bottom covers are equal. so, all covers should change according to first i.e. left cover of tie.

2. Add help button for every field.

3. Default values of tie covers may be taken as more practical value of 40 mm

4. Default value of tie offset may be 100 mm, which is more practical.

5. Default value of tie diameter should be 8 mm or 10 mm, which are most commonly used.

6. Default value of tie spacing may be taken as 100 mm
--
H.S.Rai
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Hello everyone,
Till now, I have made new UI using which user can create and edit Single Tie Four Rebars from UI.
And related code can be found here:
https://github.com/SurajDadral/FreeCAD- ... mate-newui

In new UI, I have implemented all suggestions by @hardeeprai except point 2 i.e. Add help button for every field.

Now, I am implementing creation and editing of secondary rebars.
I will try to implement it before 24 June. And will generate documentation for code.

Thanks,