Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Re: Automate Reinforcement GSoC proposal

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:24 am
After a discussion with my Civil Engineer friends, they liked the following idea:
:idea: For Column Reinforcement, we can have a list of prototypes of Rebar configurations, from which user will select any one and can edit the values related to that configuration.
And that list can be taken from "SP 34: Handbook on Concrete Reinforcement and Detailing" present at https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.s ... 7/page/n95

Due to time constraints of GSoC, I have plan to implement some of these prototypes, but can later add other prototypes also.

So, check if it seems helpful or not. Suggestions are welcome.
You can also add a feature to create reinforcement in a number of columns. For eg. in your dialog box, you may add a list which shows all the structural elements present in the active document and user can select elements either by clicking on the list item or clicking on structure (FreeCAD GUI) or both.

Also, I think there should be a master configuration for rebar addon where the user can set default values (like the diameter of rebar, span length etc) for each reinforcement.

Note: we will create reinforcement automation for normal user (dialog box) as well as for power user (scripting). So, you have to separate GUI part and core. By doing this, then a user has a facility to do anything through scripting also. :) Anyway, we will see this during the development of this project.

Cheers!
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 pm You can also add a feature to create reinforcement in a number of columns. For eg. in your dialog box, you may add a list which shows all the structural elements present in the active document and user can select elements either by clicking on the list item or clicking on structure (FreeCAD GUI) or both.
Yeah, that's nice idea. I will explore more about it and will modify UI accordingly.
Also, I think there should be a master configuration for rebar addon where the user can set default values (like the diameter of rebar, span length etc) for each reinforcement.
Yeah, we can have Master Configuration file, in which user can set default values for Rebar Addon like:

Diameter of Stirrups
Diameter of Rebars
Diameter of Ties
Span Length of Rebars
Offset for Rebars
Clear Covers (Left, Right, Front, Top, Bottom) for Stirrups
Bent Angle of Stirrups
Bent Factor of Stirrups
Rounding of Stirrups

To implement Master configuration:

* An icon will be made and integrated in drop down menu of Rebar Addon by modifying RebarTools.py file of Rebar Addon.
* The master configuration file will be created and supplied with Rebar Addon.
* When user will click on icon, the FreeCAD function “FreeCADGui.open(<file_location>)” will be called with appropriate file_location. This will open file in FreeCAD for editing.
* Note: The open() function of FreeCAD does not support ‘.txt’ files, and thus file will be Python file with extension ‘.py’.
* The master configuration will be imported into other files and used for setting default values for Rebar detailing.

Initialization:
RebarMenu1.png
RebarMenu1.png (63.15 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
Note: we will create reinforcement automation for normal user (dialog box) as well as for power user (scripting). So, you have to separate GUI part and core. By doing this, then a user has a facility to do anything through scripting also. :) Anyway, we will see this during the development of this project.
Got it. :)

Regards
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@ebrahim This looks amazing!! I hadn't realized you had advanced so far! Will give it a test run ASAP. But yeah, definitely we could make it take its data from a FreeCAD model, and maybe even produce an output that can be inserted in a TechDraw page...

@suraj Looks great! I have not very clear idea about these "scenarios" as I'm myself not a civil engineer, but you seem to have found clues yourself and be on the right track. Looks like we'll have a great GSOC this year!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Suhel Mehta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:39 pm Hello everyone,
While adding reinforcement in a beam or column user need to add reinforcement to each beam or column one by one. But if user want to add same reinforcement in more than one beam or column then they cannot do this at once. Can we add a feature to freecad by allowing user to select beams or columns one by one and select each face for them and after that if user clicks on ok button then it adds reinforcement to selected beams or columns automatically? If it is possible to add this feature then I would like to work on it in Automate reinforcement project.
So several months ago, I tried to adapt the rebar addon for doing concrete box culvert layouts for highway engineering. What's nice about box culverts is that there's rarely need for customization - most use cases already have layouts prescribed, given the slab / wall thickness, clear spans, etc.

My big issue then (and now) was not being able to reliably lay out rebar with respect to a selected face. That and the rebar objects aren't parametric.

Anyway, as a civil engineer, I'll be watching this project closely. There's great potential in the rebar addon that would make it a really valuable tool!
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm @ebrahim This looks amazing!! I hadn't realized you had advanced so far! Will give it a test run ASAP. But yeah, definitely we could make it take its data from a FreeCAD model, and maybe even produce an output that can be inserted in a TechDraw page...
very thanks for your attention. In iran we have several software for automation drawing concrete and also steel structures. In this video you can view automation for drawing beam elements with saze90:

https://youtu.be/wtwUuKousEw

and this is a preferences page for beam element:
beam.png
beam.png (236.65 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is really powerful!
I think at some point it would be nice to have a FreeCAD file with a complete concrete structure modeled, to be used as a base for experiments for all these projects and experiments... I still have an old one here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy6b0c78unlwj ... FCStd?dl=0 but it would be good to have something smaller... I'll try do do that when I have a little spare time
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

my only commend is the unit you use kgf*cm
but is think i shall never use the tool so you may ignore me ;)
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:14 pm This is really powerful!
I think at some point it would be nice to have a FreeCAD file with a complete concrete structure modeled, to be used as a base for experiments for all these projects and experiments... I still have an old one here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy6b0c78unlwj ... FCStd?dl=0 but it would be good to have something smaller... I'll try do do that when I have a little spare time
1- I think i can release first distribution of my software without using FreeCAD for selecting object, in last 2 month.
2- for FreeCAD sample concrete structure i can import it from ETABS:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=32679
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Hi Suraj,

This is Abhijeet Oundhakar from SEFI. I'm able to spend some time on this now. Could you please let me know what help you need? Please get in touch at oundhakar at gmail dot com.
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm @suraj Looks great! I have not very clear idea about these "scenarios" as I'm myself not a civil engineer, but you seem to have found clues yourself and be on the right track.
Even I am not a civil engineer :) . But I would like to give thanks to my civil engineer friends, who are helping me to understand the problems they are facing and their workflow.

To make the Rebar Addon more friendly to Structural Engineers and to seek input of structural engineers, I made a post on SEFI (STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA) and can be found at https://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81432

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm Looks like we'll have a great GSOC this year!
I am also very excited to contribute to FreeCAD during and after the GSoC. This will going to be great learning experience for me.

Regards