BCF Support GSoC Proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pPodest

Re: BCF Support GSoC Proposal

Post by pPodest »

Ok great, thank you!
Unfortunately, yesterday I didn't have much time to post anything as I was trying to build freecad for python3 and Qt5 (because I want to write the plugin in python3, since python2.7 will be discontinued from the beginning of 2020). Then I had to attend a sports event which lasted well into the evening.
I am a little embarrassed to admit but I had some problems with building FreeCAD that way on my host machine (on which I am running ArchLinux). Currently I am getting an error while running cmake, you find the complete log file attached. The log file can be boiled down to

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: CmakeFiles/cmTC_721c5.dir/CheckSymbolExists.c.o: in function `main':CheckSymbolExists.c:(.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `pthread_create' 
So now I have setup a virtual machine with ubuntu 18.04 in which I will do the building stuff, until I have figured out what causes the error and how it can be fixed.

@hardeeprai: thank you for the suggestion of the pomodoro technique. I will read into that and try it out. Currently I am searching for approaches to get more productive and focused in our ever more distracted world.

Regarding the slogan for this project: I will have to think about a good one, it might take some time, and you should already see a link to the development blog in my signature :)
Attachments
CMakeOutput.log
(70.77 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
CMakeError.log
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

pPodest wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 amRegarding the slogan for this project: I will have to think about a good one, it might take some time
That's fine.

pPodest wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 amyou should already see a link to the development blog in my signature :)
Yes, Noted.
--
H.S.Rai
pPodest

Post by pPodest »

Hi,

just to check in, I am currently looking into the PySide2-Tutorials. I finished going through the for me important parts of the QtDesigners manual on the weekend.

This should then suffice for the official start next week :)

Cheers
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Excellent! I think this is all starting very well.
pPodest wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 am /usr/bin/ld: CmakeFiles/cmTC_721c5.dir/CheckSymbolExists.c.o: in function `main':CheckSymbolExists.c:(.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `pthread_create'
This seems to mean there is a -lpthread (or -pthread which seems recommended) missing somewhere.. I don't know why it would be missing on Arch...(pthread is a system library i think) Maybe try to fire cmake-gui and add -pthread in LINKERFLAGS (or something similar) variable
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Usually this error message is a red herring and the actual error lies elsewhere. Can you attach the output of the actual cmake command? These logs look like they're both generated log files but it should be possible to determine where the actual error is from the output in your shell when you run cmake.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

also, make VERBOSE=1 can sometimes help
*EDIT* oops no, you were at the cmake stage still...
pPodest

Post by pPodest »

Ok I thought that in that case the error logs are more descriptive. So I attached the complete cmake output when I start it like this:

cmake -DBUILD_QT5=ON ../code/
I noticed the errors stating that PySide2 and Shiboken2 were not found, but then at the end version numbers are displayed beside the respective components. On my system I installed PySide2 through the official repositories (packagen names: pyside2[-tools]). And the thing with shiboken is that I installed multiple packages, from the AUR and from the official repositories, which also might cause some problems.

AUR:
  • shiboken
  • python2-shiboken
Official repositories:
  • shiboken2
  • python-shiboken2
I guess I will try to uninstall all these packages again and try the versions supplied through the python package management system (for python 3+ and Qt5). But I won't get to it till Thursday, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help already!
Attachments
cmake.log
(18.56 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

pyside2-tools is only one of the packages needed. You can grab all the dependencies by first re-adding the PPA with the sources enabled:

sudo add-apt-repository -s ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable
then by running

sudo apt build-dep freecad
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
pPodest

Post by pPodest »

I did that on my virtual Ubuntu machine and it worked like a charm.
On my host machine, on the other hand, I get the errors. I am running Arch with the pacman package manager. But I will come back to this today again with more info!

The next part I think concerns @yorik and @hardeeprai most:
One thing Sean Morrison (the GSoC admin from BRL-CAD) made me aware of is that it is required to maintain a daily dev log. We kind of talked about this already when also the blog came up, which led me to set up the blog. But Sean pointed out that for a daily dev log a blog might present a bit too much overhead. My original plan was to go with the blog, but a blog post is commonly expected to be quite long compared to a simple dev log (like Suraj's).
So what is your opinion? Would it be ok with you if I write one post every day in a category called "dev-log" on my blog, or would it be more sensible to also setup a wiki page, like Suraj's?
In my opinion, I would likely prefer the blog more, since it is already set up and it presents one place where I document my progress.

Cheers!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to maintain a strictly daily log... The important part is that you show sustained work (ie. not "disappear" for several days), but you are doing that already, no problem at all.

It's up to you basically, or you add a one-line log everyday as Suraj is doing, or you write not everyday, but a little bit more content... I think both are valid and work well.