feature request, move surface of object to XY-plane

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecc

feature request, move surface of object to XY-plane

Post by freecc »

I model things and want to 3d print them. Every part has to be moved to the XY plane to be in the correct place in the slicer. So I am requesting this feature. That I can just click on a face and move it to the XY-plane. Put the center of the object on the z axis if it is possible.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: feature request, move surface of object to XY-plane

Post by NormandC »

I'm pretty sure someone proficient in Python could make a macro for that.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Actually, somebody (openBrain) already did! :D

[Macro] Straighten objects

How to use:

1. Select a face on the solid(s) to move to the XY plane; optionally select an edge as well
  2. Launch the macro
  3. Bam! You're done. ;)

Note: if you are working with a PartDesign Body, you first need to set its "Display Mode Body" property in the View tab from "Through" to "Tip", or it won't work as expected.
freecc

Post by freecc »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:09 am Actually, somebody (openBrain) already did! :D

[Macro] Straighten objects

How to use:

1. Select a face on the solid(s) to move to the XY plane; optionally select an edge as well
  2. Launch the macro
  3. Bam! You're done. ;)

Note: if you are working with a PartDesign Body, you first need to set its "Display Mode Body" property in the View tab from "Through" to "Tip", or it won't work as expected.
thank you!
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:09 am How to use:
  2. Launch the macro
  3. Bam! You're done. ;)
Just a precision. The extra edge if used, it will be set parallel to X axis.
[/quote]
[/quote]
@NormandC, do you have an example where the Display Mode Body set to Through leads to issues. The macro normally correctly manages this case. I did some basic testing and got no bug, thus I'll be interested if you have a demo file that fails. ;)