THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE - WITHDRAWN!!!! was a FEM feature request

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Feature Request - Topology Optimization for FEM Workbench

Post by vocx »

quick61 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:52 pm Then why the HELL does the description for subform Open discussion literately say, FIRST THING mind you, and I quote - "Have some feature requests" and end with, and I quote once again "This is the place" ???????
Why not? I mean, that still applies for general stuff that doesn't fit well in another subforum.
Further more, why wasn't this feature request - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36122 - attacked and made to be moved to the Part design development subform, or this feature request - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35503 asked to be moved, or this one - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35763 - or why would NormandC, who has been here longer than I, or even the most of you have, posted this - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 03#p302233?
As I said, I don't think the mods are particularly good. I would have moved those threads to the development subforums. That's just my opinion.
If you all want it this way, then put it in the subforum descriptions - FEM About the development of the FEM module/workbench. Make your feature request for FEM here? It doesn't say that, does it? The ONLY place it says to put your feature requests is in the Open discussion forum. So don't tell me I'm the one that is wrong when I am the one that can and does actually read and comprehend the instructions written in plain English in the subform descriptions.
LOL. I mean, discussion about new features is also development. I don't understand the outrage. The forum descriptions aren't laws of physics that can't be subject to interpretation, they are guidelines. In the past there weren't subforums and everything was discussed in Open Discussions, and it was a mess. Subforums to categorize different topics are a bless.
As far as I am concerned, whoever moved this in the first place can just delete the entire thread and be done with it. Don't worry, I have now learned not to make any more feature requests because no one can remove their head from their backside long enough to actually decide where they belong. ;)
LOL. Why being too dramatic? I don't get it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE - WITHDRAWN!!!!

Post by chrisb »

As this becomes a topic about moderators it sure should be in Open discussion, so I move it back there.

I am one of these moderators and yes, I make mistakes. And yes, each mistake is one mistake too much. And looking at every single mistake, it was very easy to avoid, however, they happen.
After Kunda1's post I moved the topic to FEM, because the FEM gurus are of course busy in that forum and I wasn't sure about OpenDiscussion. This was obviously wrong, so please receive my apologies, no offence was intended.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Re: THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE - WITHDRAWN!!!!

Post by quick61 »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:17 pm As this becomes a topic about moderators it sure should be in Open discussion, so I move it back there.

I am one of these moderators and yes, I make mistakes. And yes, each mistake is one mistake too much. And looking at every single mistake, it was very easy to avoid, however, they happen.
After Kunda1's post I moved the topic to FEM, because the FEM gurus are of course busy in that forum and I wasn't sure about OpenDiscussion. This was obviously wrong, so please receive my apologies, no offence was intended.
Apologies accepted, (and to be honest, I was initially more upset with the one that thought it should be moved in the first place), and please feel free to delete this post as like I have said, I have withdrawn the feature request and will not be making any more in the foreseeable future.

The way I have always understood feature requests worked was they were first posted in Open discussion, where users and developers alike first discussed the idea to determine if it would truly be worth it and if it were even feasible, then, if such was determined to be so, and official request would be made on the bug tracker, where then the developers would see it and if they thought it worthy and doable, could refer back to the Open discussion thread, pick it up and then discuss it's implantation in the development subforums. I haven't seen anything posted by anyone "official" yet that runs contrary to that. Or did I miss something?
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE - WITHDRAWN!!!! was a FEM feature request

Post by Kunda1 »

@quick61, I apologize as well. I didn't intend to offend or discourage participation. @bernd has got his hands full and in my experience if you want to get something on his radar, the probability is higher that he'll see it in the FEM subforum.

@chrisb is used to trusting my judgment on this type of thing, so I apologize that this caused such an opposite response than causally intended.

Please reconsider withdrawing you participation. It's very nice to see you back and active again (I wasn't part of the FC community when you were around, but I could tell from your posts that you contributed in many ways to this community).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:05 am @quick61, I apologize as well. I didn't intend to offend or discourage participation. @bernd has got his hands full and in my experience if you want to get something on his radar, the probability is higher that he'll see it in the FEM subforum.

@chrisb is used to trusting my judgment on this type of thing, so I apologize that this caused such an opposite response than causally intended.

Please reconsider withdrawing you participation. It's very nice to see you back and active again (I wasn't part of the FC community when you were around, but I could tell from your posts that you contributed in many ways to this community).
Apology accepted, and I did over react. Please accept my apology one and all for that as well.

To be truthful, the original feature request was borne out of my complete and utterly pathetic ability to understand or work with any form of programming/scripting, etc. While in the middle of yet again trying to get the simplest of the 2 scripts to work, things happened with this thread and my personal frustration flowed the wrong way. Looking back, I probably should of never made the feature request in the first place, it was selfish and I humbly regret it. While I still withdraw that request, I have no plans to leave the forum and will continue to provide help and input where I can. To that end, here's to a fresh and better tomorrow. :)

Again, my apology to all.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

quick61 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am I have no plans to leave the forum and will continue to provide help and input where I can.
I'm very happy to hear that!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Don't know if the same exist by other development subforums.
But FEM has a topic what only reference to other topics.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Feature Request - Topology Optimization for FEM Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 am
quick61 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am I have no plans to leave the forum and will continue to provide help and input where I can.
I'm very happy to hear that!
LIkewise. I'm thankful we reconciled that.
vocx wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 pm First of all, I don't think the moderators in this forum are particularly good. However, with that said, I don't understand the problem.
I felt that this arc was arriving to completion but something was bugging me and that was this statement that @vocx made that I can't let go of yet.

@vocx I appreciate all that you've done since you've arrived in to the forum and community. With that said please don't knock the selfless work of the mods (esp. @chrisb). If you want to give feedback please do it in a constructive way instead of a diminishing one. As this forum grows, and by golly it's growing(!), it brings a lot of pain with it (educating newbs about FC, educating newbs about forum etiquette, flagging and removing spam (<-- this is a full time job, btw), keeping the forums organized, reconciling community disagreements (sometimes causing them :oops: :lol:), and many unacknowledged menial tasks that I forget to mention). We need all hands on deck, and folks like @chisb who are IMO community engines, should get a little more respect.

So lets move forward with a little more care and in a good way, btw I'm including the mods and veteran users and myself in this wish. OK enough with the kumbaya stuff ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs