Curved Shapes Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Curved Shapes Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

khumarahn wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:10 pm I am trying to design a fan duct for a 3d printer, and hitting an issue trying to connect to rectangle sketches which are at 90 degrees to each other with a Curved Segment, at the end of the profile.
christi wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:53 pm :bell:
BTW, another Joko video using Curved Shapes!
phpBB [video]
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

So I caught a glimpse of joko engineering using the Curved Shapes WB using a twist property. And that reminded me.

It's possible to make sweeps that resemble wire harness...though getting the profile of the wire to sweep along with offset away from components IS a bit tedious in Draft WB... (I'd love to learn techniques that make that easier/more efficient.)

But, the gist of this post is to wonder if there is a way to make twisted sweeps like shown here?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KId94FyFNHw
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
pointdee

Post by pointdee »

Feature Request

Awesome work so far - Please see attached. I would like to be able to sweep Sketch001 along Sketch003 so that the created profile has a Z value (in this case) determined by Sketch002. The items created would always be perpendicular to Sketch003

I hope that makes sense but if not please ask for clarification. Apologies if this is already easily possible via your workbench or elsewhere in FreeCAD and I've missed it

Thanks

Paul
Attachments
CurvedShape.FCStd
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
christi

Post by christi »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm JOKO Engineering made a tutorial on using CurvedShapes
Great tutorial !
I have added it to the README of the Curved Shapes workbench
Last edited by christi on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christi

Post by christi »

drmacro wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:00 pm It's possible to make sweeps that resemble wire harness...though getting the profile of the wire to sweep along with offset away from components IS a bit tedious in Draft WB... (I'd love to learn techniques that make that easier/more efficient.)
pointdee wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm Feature Request
Awesome work so far - Please see attached. I would like to be able to sweep Sketch001 along Sketch003 so that the created profile has a Z value (in this case) determined by Sketch002. The items created would always be perpendicular to Sketch003
In the moment there is no way to sweep a shape along a path in the Curved Shaped WB.
But I think this can be done with some modifications of the Curved Array tool.
I will keep this in mind ...
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

christi wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:26 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:00 pm It's possible to make sweeps that resemble wire harness...though getting the profile of the wire to sweep along with offset away from components IS a bit tedious in Draft WB... (I'd love to learn techniques that make that easier/more efficient.)
pointdee wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm Feature Request
In the moment there is no way to sweep a shape along a path in the Curved Shaped WB.
Cool, would be really useful with the Kicad stepup workbench fer instance. :)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
pointdee

Post by pointdee »

Thanks

Paul
christi

Post by christi »

I have added a new tool Curved Path Array that is able to arrange the array items around a sweep path.

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

christi wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:30 pm I have added a new tool Curved Path Array that is able to arrange the array items around a sweep path.
Nice! is there documentation on it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
christi

Post by christi »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:29 pm Nice! is there documentation on it ?
Yes, in the README