Marking PartDesign not properly attached datums

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Marking PartDesign not properly attached datums

Post by saso »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm I would prefer these extra icon columns to be on the right-hand side, not like in DAG View. To keep the tree cleaner.
I see your point... NX has this as menu options to show or hide many different additional columns of information
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm the icon is ... awful. :lol:
Looks like front view of a car, so can't give an obvious meaning to that. :)
saso wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 pm Existing icon seems quite clear to be an electrical plug
:lol: so many interpretations

My intent was to depict a bug clinging onto a stem. Or a part tied with red rubber bands to another one.

I don't think that chain or lock are good icons, because they are too general. Neither has any association with "placement". But since no one seems to understand the meaning of current icon, I guess it is no better.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm What about something like that :
not_attached_icon.svg.png
If you remove one of the pieces of the ring, that icon looks like a bar stuck to a magnet. That may actually be a good new icon, as it has that "placement" association to it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Perhaps we don't need an overlay icon at all, a color may be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:46 pm But since no one seems to understand the meaning of current icon, I guess it is no better.
I think the comment was about the pink overlay icons :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20190618_194726.png
Screenshot_20190618_194726.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 pm If you remove one of the pieces of the ring, that icon looks like a bar stuck to a magnet. That may actually be a good new icon, as it has that "placement" association to it.
Simple striked magnet ?
not_attached_icon.svg.png
not_attached_icon.svg.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

openBrain wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm
abdullah wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:13 pm If the code is acceptable, the icon may be changed:
I realized today that this feature is available. And indeed the icon is ... awful. :lol:
I could claim I did it awful on purpose, but it is a combination of lack of artistic skills and lack of interest.

Whatever icon that the long discussion ends-up having, if any, should come in XPM format:

Code: Select all

static const char * const feature_detached_xpm[]={
                    "9 9 3 1",
                    ". c None",
                    "# c #cc00cc",
                    "a c #ffffff",
                    "...###...",
                    ".##aaa##.",
                    "##aaaaa##",
                    "##aaaaa##",
                    "#########",
                    "#########",
                    "#########",
                    ".##aaa##.",
                    ".##aaa##.",
"...###..."};
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:36 am Whatever icon that the long discussion ends-up having, if any, should come in XPM format:
At least this explains a bit. ;)
If I'm correct, the first XPM line should be "9 10 3 1" (instead of "9 9 3 1").
ATM the last line is ignored which doesn't help the icon to be understandable. :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:48 am I am doing a medium size project, and one problem I have come across is that when reworking a part done with PartDesign, in which datum planes and lines where used attached to a master sketch, the datum planes and lines eventually lost the link (probably licit because of the rework), but nevertheless stayed in place.
We have the same situation with sketches which had been attached to faces or datum geometry and that face/datum has disappeared. This leaves the sketch in an almost always undesired unattached state. It would be good to see the same overlay icon for those sketches inside of a body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

I personally think the icon overlay graphic (magnet plug etc) is not nearly as important as the user being able to figure out what it means, e.g. if they hover the icon it comes up with a tool tip saying "Datum/LCS not attached".

I think the overlay is a great idea and works well if you know whats it for. The only issue to be addressed is for new people. I don't think one can convey the concept in a few pixels worth of overlay, this is a zoomed up version of what it looks like for me, I would go so far as to say 100% of people who don't know what it means, can't figure it out by looking at this picture:
detached.png
detached.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 640 times