App::Link: the big merge

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BassMati

Re: App::Link: the big merge

Post by BassMati »

Hi folks,

I am currently testing the Link3 or LinkMerge Build, and I would like to share my findings (bugs, observations, etc.) to aid in debugging. For example, I cannot change a construction geometry to defining geometry, but in realthunder's Asssembly3 build, that works. Can someone point me to the right forum topic?
Best regards
Ulrich

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17421 +113 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkMerge
Hash: 9d0f1e40d1635f57f2f34c704fd9625aa39587fc
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

BassMati wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:14 pm I am currently testing the Link3 or LinkMerge Build, and I would like to share my findings (bugs, observations, etc.) to aid in debugging. For example, I cannot change a construction geometry to defining geometry, but in realthunder's Asssembly3 build, that works. Can someone point me to the right forum topic?
The upstream Sketcher does not support 'defining' geometry yet if I am not mistaken. Because of the implementation, this feature will have to wait till I submit the topo naming PR. It is big and has deep impact. I don't expect it to get merged anytime soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

That makes sense. Thank you!
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 am Not technical feedback but I have always noticed a difference in color and light levels between all prior (to 0.19) versions of FreeCAD and realthunders code. I can tell you immediately if I open Assembly3 or regular FreeCAD, I don't get it. I see the same thing now when I start 0.19, it's like the overhead light is turned off and things are dim and the colors are different. Like I said, not very technical.
Maybe you can capture two screenshots in each version and show the difference.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is only a small convenience thing, but it would be nice to get the old behaviour back. Before the big merge, when creating a new PartDesign body, the body's origin was always collapsed. This was handy, because it didn't crowd the tree too much and making it visible offered all the planes at once, where it is no problem to select the right one.

Now the origin comes always expanded. Can we get the old behaviour back?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 am Now the origin comes always expanded. Can we get the old behaviour back?
+1
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 am Now the origin comes always expanded. Can we get the old behaviour back?
Yes, sure.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I guess now we will need to start thinking about bringing App::Link oriented documentation, to the FreeCAD Wiki. In addition, a few Python snippets, utilizing any available API, that would make much sense. Based on such snippets, other developers could start utilizing the newly added support.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

can we consider the App::Link big merge to be done ?
Can we now post bug-reports and feature requests ?
Is this the good thread or is there a better option ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here