App::Link: the big merge

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: App::Link: the big merge

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 am ...
Can we now post bug-reports and feature requests ?
There was never a timeframe for the merge. People have been reporting problems introduced by App::Link, and wishes, since the day it was merged.

Maybe to deal with completely new functionality you should use the big Assembly3 thread, as that is basically a long running story.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder wrote:
Working on another example:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 88#p391488

I noticed that if a linked file gets renamed (Save As...), the link association will get broken. Don't know if this was already discussed and if it could be considered for improvements. Hence i will just mention it here.

Any opinion on this?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

triplus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 am Any opinion on this?
I think this should be expected. Maybe adding some unique ID to each file or using already existing one if such exists shod help to introduce an Auto heal option. Or manually select the file if the link is broken.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

On the long run likely this is not something to be expected. Likely it should just work seamlessly.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

triplus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 am I noticed that if a linked file gets renamed (Save As...), the link association will get broken. Don't know if this was already discussed and if it could be considered for improvements. Hence i will just mention it here.
This is actually a bug. Nice catch. PR is here.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks!