[Feature Request] #5972 CompoundFilter items selection helper

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

[Feature Request] #5972 CompoundFilter items selection helper

Post by openBrain »

Hi all,
Part CompoundFilter is a nice tool, but especially when used in "specific items" mode, it is really odd to setup. Particularly because you don't know how many fragments are in the compound, and which index corresponds to which fragment.
So below is a proposal that would (I think) help compound filter to be a more user-friendly tool, and probably increase its popularity. :)
CF1.png
CF1.png (82.71 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
CF2.png
CF2.png (142.91 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
I think mock-up pictures are self-explaining, but feel free to ask for more if needed.

What do you think about that proposal ?
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added GH ticket number to thread title
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [FeatureRequest] CompoundFilter items selection helper

Post by chrisb »

Good idea. It doesn't have to be something new, it could be an extension to explode compound. Instead of creating all items a selection of the wanted could be made.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:06 am It doesn't have to be something new, it could be an extension to explode compound.
Not sure to fully understand... It's not a new feature, it's just an helper to CompoundFilter. When you click "OK" in the Tasks panel after you selected, it just fills the "items" property of the CompoundFilter. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Selecting all items is the same as explode compound, isn't it? So it could be sensible to have it there (too).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Good proposal.

If only there was a way to add that "..." button from python...

Also, your proposal is missing the support for advanced syntax (like "::2" for including every second object), but I guess it's acceptable (user just shouldn't touch it if that advanced syntax is actually needed).
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:11 pm Selecting all items is the same as explode compound, isn't it?
Yes but no. :) ExploreCompound will expose all fragments in the tree view as separate objects (inside a "folder" IIRC) while CompoundFilter only shows one object in the tree view. ;)
But I also think that using the same dialog to create a SelectiveCompoundExplode could be a good idea.
DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm If only there was a way to add that "..." button from python...
I wasn't sure if it was possible or not, but my feeling was indeed that it has to be coded in C++. :)
Also, your proposal is missing the support for advanced syntax (like "::2" for including every second object), but I guess it's acceptable (user just shouldn't touch it if that advanced syntax is actually needed).
I also think it's acceptable because :
  • It doesn't break support for advanced syntax (you can still enter it manually in the property field
  • It is normal user oriented :lol:
  • You should rarely have more than 10 fragments, which should make it acceptable to click each needed item
Moreover, I never used advanced syntax mainly because I absolutely don't know in which order are the fragments inside the compound. :)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am Moreover, I never used advanced syntax mainly because I absolutely don't know in which order are the fragments inside the compound.
You probably never applied it to a Draft Array, for example. Sure, for the output of a BOP, the indexing is relatively unpredictable.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] #5972 CompoundFilter items selection helper

Post by Kunda1 »

Added GH issue number to thread title
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs