Ticket #3370: Datum Plane in Sketcher often switches to opaque Yellow when selecting external Geometry

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1

Ticket #3370: Datum Plane in Sketcher often switches to opaque Yellow when selecting external Geometry

Postby Kunda1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 pm

issue #3370: Datum Plane in Sketcher often switches to opaque Yellow when selecting external Geometry
Description
When you create a sketch on a Datum Plane and want to select external geometry the datum plane often covers the underlying features or datum geometry by switching to solid yellow.

Steps To Reproduce
create a PAD , create a datum plane above or on surface of the PAD. Create sketch on this plane and try to select any external geometry. Randomly the plane switches to solid yellow covering the objects below.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
chrisb

Re: Ticket #3370: Datum Plane in Sketcher often switches to opaque Yellow when selecting external Geometry

Postby chrisb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:19 am

That's the (normal) preseselction mechanism. It can be switched off in the preferences, or you simply hide the DatumPlane when working in Sketcher.
TheMarkster

Re: Ticket #3370: Datum Plane in Sketcher often switches to opaque Yellow when selecting external Geometry

Postby TheMarkster » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:47 am

Even if the datum plane remained transparent I think it still blocks being able to select the objects behind it. We don't want to change this behavior because sometimes the datum plane is what we want to select, or datum line or datum point.

But I also think preselection should respect the current transparency setting. It is very annoying when you have transparency to something other than 0 and the preselection mechanism hides the internals of the object. I've seen some color picker dialogs that allow you to enter 2 more digits in the hex color box to represent the desired alpha. I think it was in Gimp2. If that were the case we could select a transparency setting for the preselection color.
HarryGeier

Postby HarryGeier » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 am

The annoying Thing is, it does not switch to opaque all ways, just occasionally. Meanwhile i got accustomed to it and i switch the datum planes off most every time i go into a sketch. I also see no real reason why to select a datum plane inside sketcher, or do i miss something here ?
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/