A new wiki theme? Adapting KDE's latest to our own

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

A new wiki theme? Adapting KDE's latest to our own

Post by kkremitzki »

KDE recently updated the theme for their Userbase wiki, which is a MediaWiki installation like our own:

https://carlschwan.eu/2019/07/12/new-userbase.html

Example page: https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi

This looks great to me, so I was thinking it might be nice to add as an optional theme for the wiki, with the goal of adapting some of the color theme and branding to our own, and if it ends up looking nice, perhaps changing the default theme to it.

The source for the theme is here on KDE's GitLab instance: https://invent.kde.org/websites/aether-mediawiki

The license is CC-BY-SA 4.0.

Thoughts?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: A new wiki theme? Adapting KDE's latest to our own

Post by Kunda1 »

It's cool. Is there a light theme option as well (so people can choose?)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 amThoughts?
:point_up_2:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

There's more information on that in the first link.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 pm There's more information on that in the first link.
It looks cool. I think though we should think long and hard on the possibilities of revamping the wiki as you suggest or migrating to a git based approach. I find git easier to:
  • vet revisions on which is ultimately better for quality control
  • translation looks way easier to maintain then the current translation strategy we're using on the wiki
  • execute qaulity searching through. git is way beyond what we have going on in mediawiki. A pet peeve I have with the wiki is that if I want to just search an english string, I get back non-english wiki page results.