[Feature Request] 3d Mouse turntable option

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dimitar

[Feature Request] 3d Mouse turntable option

Post by dimitar »

3d Mouse can be used by industrial [and other] designers and architectural designers. For non architectural designers, working on a part, it makes sense to rotate freely around an object, but for architectural design, Rhino, Blender, and Revit either have the option to lock the horizon so verticals always stay verticals or is the only way to rotate around in 3d space.

I have played with the spaceball settings in the customize menu and I can get it to match the settings as it works in other programs except for locking horizon.
Last edited by dimitar on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saso
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] 3d Mouse Lock horizon option

Post by saso »

Edit -> Preferences... -> Display -> Orbit style -> Turntable

or

Bottom right corner Navigation styles -> Settings -> Orbit style -> Turntable

:?:
dimitar

Re: [Feature Request] 3d Mouse Lock horizon option

Post by dimitar »

saso wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:22 pm Edit -> Preferences... -> Display -> Orbit style -> Turntable

or

Bottom right corner Navigation styles -> Settings -> Orbit style -> Turntable

:?:
I use that setting but it has no effect on the 3d mouse, only on regular mouse navigation
Brutha

Re: [Feature Request] 3d Mouse turntable option

Post by Brutha »

Interesting you mention Blender - I can’t get it working with my spacenavigator in any kind of nice way! It works much much better in Freecad for me.

All I want it to do is set it so that the various directions move the camera, e.g. twist to rotate, push left to move left and so on. But I can’t find the right options....
dimitar

Re: [Feature Request] 3d Mouse turntable option

Post by dimitar »

Brutha wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 am Interesting you mention Blender - I can’t get it working with my spacenavigator in any kind of nice way! It works much much better in Freecad for me.

All I want it to do is set it so that the various directions move the camera, e.g. twist to rotate, push left to move left and so on. But I can’t find the right options....
Are you on Win/Linux/Mac? If you are in Win or Mac,use the the 3dconnexion app/driver. There are some settings there, for example reversing directions. On linux, I'm afraid that it's up to the individual apps to adjust

Also in the user preferences in Blender, there is an option to change the navigation style. However, there is no way to change the direction of the movements from within Blender interface as far as I know.

...A little preference for rotation style between turntable and trackball in the spaceball settings is precisely what would be great to have in Freecad
blender_GbMciC4gxo.png
blender_GbMciC4gxo.png (94.51 KiB) Viewed 807 times