Major FreeCAD PITA

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
editedusername

Major FreeCAD PITA

Post by editedusername »

Not everything can refer to a spreadsheet cell for a value.

That is particularly infuriating when dealing with axis, roofs, windows, and a god knows what else.

While most of the world is metric, some portions aren't. Using a spreadsheet (which converts to metric internally) as a source of values means that I normally don't care; I can input my measurements in feet/inches/whatever and the cell has the conversion to mm without any work on my part.

That's really nice, by the way. It also induces me to put a particular value in exactly one place and have other stuff refer to that place; I'd think that's something a parametric model would want in the first place.

But other rather useful things in FreeCAD only work with metric values and neither allow me to refer to a spreadsheet cell nor allow me to enter formulas on the fly.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Major FreeCAD PITA

Post by chrisb »

word censored wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 am But other rather useful things in FreeCAD only work with metric values and neither allow me to refer to a spreadsheet cell nor allow me to enter formulas on the fly.
Please describe in detail what is missing - if you hope for improvement.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

word censored wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 am But other rather useful things in FreeCAD only work with metric values and neither allow me to refer to a spreadsheet cell nor allow me to enter formulas on the fly.
Also, pay particular attention to items 4 and 5 in the first post here:
http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

(Because you chose for your username an alias for "word censored", I'm not sure that I should take you seriously)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bejant wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:22 pm (Because you chose for your username an alias for "word censored", I'm not sure that I should take you seriously)
Didn't catch that. Thanks for the Craniums Above (bad attempt at: heads up :cry: )
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

You're welcome. If you didn't already know, jmaustpc did send me a related PM about automatically redacting a few inappropriate words.