Could we get a simple path description of Link, 019, Link stage, Asm3, merge?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: Could we get a simple path description of Link, 019, Link stage, Asm3, merge?

Post by freedman »

Is there a fromal doc yet to describe usage of these link commands:

The docs would be an explaination and a simple example that a entry level user could understand. I see a lot of comments about the code but haven't found the docs. I totally get it if they aren't ready. :) I'm using these in Part Design.

1)Make link.
2)Make link group.
3)Make relative link.
4)Replace with link.
5)Select linked object.
6)Unlink.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Could we get a simple path description of Link, 019, Link stage, Asm3, merge?

Post by vocx »

freedman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:06 am ...

The docs would be an explaination and a simple example that a entry level user could understand. ...
As I said, the App::Link object is a type of internal object. As a user, you don't need to think too much about it. Why? Because its functionality will be exposed by other tools that developers will make. The reason the whole "Link" concept was created was to have a proper Assembly workbench; therefore, hopefully this will all become clear when you use Assembly3. So, don't try to use App::Link itself, instead try to use Assembly3, which already includes it.

So, you don't need to think about how to use App::Link, just think about how you would create assemblies, creating shapes, duplicating them, and arranging them in different positions, etc. Read the documents in Test tutorial for Assembly 3 WB, Assembly3 Tutorials, FreeCAD assembly3, and general information in Assembly3 preview.
Last edited by vocx on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I see what you mean, it's a path. OK, I can get the info I need from the forums.

The problem I have; I haven't had much luck with Assembly3, It's been a while since I tried but every time I got a bunch of graphic errors and selection issues so I always go back to Part design which is where I work. Some of the problem I'm sure is the fact that I open models created in Part Design. I would guess that I have tried more than a dozen times over the last couple years. For stability I need to stay in Part Design and watch the incremental changes get confirmed. I'm in work mode 90% and FreeCAD testing 10%, can't have too many problems.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vocx wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm So, don't try to use App::Link itself, instead try to use Assembly3, which already includes it.
For active/external document feature linking purposes, feel free to use App::Link functionality and its exposed commands. Such as in the right click menu (tree view) or by using a corresponding command on the toolbar.

P.S. For assembling such Link features, for that Assembly 3 module is indeed one option.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freedman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 pm I see what you mean, it's a path. OK, I can get the info I need from the forums.
I don't understand why you keep bringing the word "path". What does this even mean?
The problem I have; I haven't had much luck with Assembly3, It's been a while since I tried but every time I got a bunch of graphic errors and selection issues so I always go back to Part design which is where I work. Some of the problem I'm sure is the fact that I open models created in Part Design....
You sound very confused. Assembly3 or Link aren't a replacement for PartDesign. PartDesign is meant to create solid bodies; once these are done, you can assemble them into bigger, complex products with Assembly3. That is, Assembly3 is meant to be used with models created in Part or PartDesign; the fact that you had errors probably wasn't due to them being created with PartDesign. It's really impossible to know what was wrong with them if you don't provide a better description. And if you don't have time to test things, that's an issue as well. You need to make some time to test Assembly3 again, otherwise it's just guessing.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

A path is something that takes you from where you are now and leads you in a direction. In the case of FreeCAD I was trying to understand where we are today and where we will be in the future.

I also remember realthunder not being completely sure about file compatibility in it's development cycle. Scary for me with customer files.

I will try Assembly3 again, I have no problem with that. Do you know the development status of it, is it pretty much finished?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

freedman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 am In the case of FreeCAD I was trying to understand where we are today and where we will be in the future.
You can create and use Link features. You can't assemble them just yet. This is the current status regarding upstream FreeCAD, when no additional modules are installed.

P.S. In the future you should be able to assemble Link features.