Rotation center point (possible feature request?)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PaFe

Rotation center point (possible feature request?)

Post by PaFe »

Hello! I've noticed that in options there is a tick to choose the rotation center point in 3D navigation. In one mode the center point of rotation is attached to mouse cursor, in the other the center point is the center of the part. Both are very useful, depending on situations, so, if it is possible, could be great to assign this switch to a keyboard button (maybee ALT?) this could activate a behaviour on continuous pression and leave the other in standard mode (without pression). Maybe the standard mode could be chosen in options. What do you think about?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Rotation center point (possible feature request?)

Post by chrisb »

It's not that I really need it, but I would probably use it from time to time. For now you may consider using gesture mode, where you can recenter 3D view using the H key.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Rotation center point (possible feature request?)

Post by vocx »

PaFe wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:07 pm ... so, if it is possible, could be great to assign this switch to a keyboard button (maybee ALT?) this could activate a behaviour on continuous pression and leave the other in standard mode (without pression).
A problem with this is that the Alt modifier is already is taken by the Draft Workbench in certain operations.

Code: Select all

Edit -> Preferences -> Grid and Snapping -> Alt mod
For certain creation tools, the Alt key serves to pick alternative places. For example, for Draft Dimension, the Alt modifier lets you select certain edges to measure. I'm not sure if this is a global modifier or only restricted to Draft.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.