State of Assembly 2

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug Report: Assembly 2 - Import a part from another FreeCAD document

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 am Normand is talking about Assembly2 being unmaintained already at the beginning of 2018,
And he was right, as always. At the beginning of 2018. But since there were every now and then requests for this workbench, e.g. to keep old models running, someone picked it up again and made some changes, whatever that may be called. But to be honest, words are obviously where neither mine nor your strengths lies:
Moreover, Roland Frank, a new maintainer for the repository, tragically died.

A person that is only alive due to a respirator in intensive care is technically alive, but for all intents and purposes that person is no longer among the living.
To put these in a direct sequence is absolutely tasteless.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Bug Report: Assembly 2 - Import a part from another FreeCAD document

Post by easyw-fc »

vocx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 am That's not maintenance. That's nitpicking to be able to say that it's "technically" maintained.
Instead of putting your time in a nitpicking and endless discussion, you could have spent your time in a more useful way, i.e. coding for FC.
vocx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 am Obviously you have a personal attachment to that workbench, but you have to call it what it is, unmaintained.
I do care about FC user's and user's experience. A2 was the only assembly option for FC users since the very beginning. That means a lot of people were/are using it.
Here a related discussion:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 97#p310164
chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:36 am To put these in a direct sequence is absolutely tasteless.
+1 ... I couldn’t agree more...
RatonLaveur

Re: State of Assembly 2

Post by RatonLaveur »

Bypassing the drama, those who read me on the forums will know where I stand there :)

Would it be correct to consider that assembly2 is indeed maintained but not actively being developped? (and I kindof hope dev ressources are being funneled into A2+; A3 and A4 (without solver)).

In which case we could consider it a Legacy Work Bench (much like the dxf import/export options to use Legacy Python importer).

At least we'd agree on its status, its future and our words.
triplus
Veteran

Re: State of Assembly 2

Post by triplus »

A lot of projects used Assembly 2 in the past. For such projects best to use FreeCAD 0.16 and Assembly 2. To open, edit, extend ... such projects. That is if porting doesn't make much sense. As for the new projects. Current recommendation is to use A2plus.

P.S. Assembly 2 and A2plus use a different approach, when it comes to solver implementation. Due to this difference, it didn't made much sense, to combine the efforts.