Change request for bug submission guidelines

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb

Change request for bug submission guidelines

Postby chrisb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Finally we have a forum member who really follows the bug submission guidelines: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 06#p334313

I think it is sensible to discuss special topics rather in the dedicated subforums such as Arch, FEM, Path, TechDraw, ... because the experts may not scan the whole help section.

I propose to change the forum rules as follows, changes in red:

2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Open a new topic here on the forum, in the help section or in a dedicated subforum, and ask if what you found is a bug. Other users will surely be able to help you determining what you should do.

Even stronger would be to recommend posting in the subforum first:

2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Open a new topic here on the forum, in a dedicated subforum or in the general help section, and ask if what you found is a bug. Other users will surely be able to help you determining what you should do.
openBrain

Re: Change request for bug submission guidelines

Postby openBrain » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm afraid that you have to be specific about subforums that address their own bugs if you don't want the PartDesign Development subforum to become a mess. :)
Something like :
If your request concerns FEM => FEM subforum
If your request concerns Path => Path subforum
Other case or if you're unsure => General Help subforum
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:08 am

You are right that PartDesign Development is a problem. We should consider to close the subforum completely for new posts. It was created in the 0.17 development cycle when it the task of the tasks. Meanwhile it is a workbench like others, issues concerning the development don't occur very often and may be discussed in the general developer forum.

I have thought about being more specific, but the bug submission guidelines may be the wrong place to specify the meapping between content and subforum.
Roy_043

Postby Roy_043 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am

I am the person chrisb is referring to in his first post.
I actually do not mind loose guidelines, but when following the guidelines to the letter it is a bit strange that your choice of forum is then questioned or a post is moved to a different forum.

IMO the Help forum should be the mandatory forum for initial bug reports. Expecting (new and potentially confused) users to pick the right forum may be too much to expect.
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

chrisb wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 pm
2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Open a new topic here on the forum, in the help section or in a dedicated subforum, and ask if what you found is a bug. Other users will surely be able to help you determining what you should do.
Either Help or TechDraw is fine from the TD perspective.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Quite some discussions in one of the subforums turn out to end in a bug report. So the same topic contents can occur in the subforum, if the user does not suspect a bug or in help forum, if the user suspects a bug. That's one reason why I think it is sensible to place specialized bug reports directly in the corresponding subforum. Another is that other people who search the forum for a solution may first look in the subforum.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm

chrisb wrote:
2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Open a new topic here on the forum, in a dedicated subforum or in the general help section, and ask if what you found is a bug. Other users will surely be able to help you determining what you should do.
What about...?
2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Figure out which subforum your problem applies to and post asking the community if you've found a bug. If you're not sure, then please post in the General Help Section. Please be patient, someone in the community will respond eventually.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 pm

I like the subtle vagueness. We don't want the guidelines to become looking like they have been setup by a lawyer. Just clearly transport the idea, and that's it.
bejant

Postby bejant » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm

chrisb wrote:
I propose to change the forum rules as follows
You might just want to let the Help forum be the catch-all for bug discussion. If you start making users create their initial post about a possible bug in other multiple specific forums, you might have to move a lot of posts as time goes on.

Kunda1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Please be patient, someone in the community will respond eventually.
That might cause someone new to the forum to mistakenly think that the forum is slow to respond, when instead replies usually happen quickly.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:45 pm

bejant wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Kunda1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Please be patient, someone in the community will respond eventually.
That might cause someone new to the forum to mistakenly think that the forum is slow to respond, when instead replies usually happen quickly.
True. Perhaps '...and remember the FC motto: It's done when it's done'
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features