GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by amrit3701 »

@GSoC applicants

I suggest all GSoC applicants submit their draft proposal so that the community can review it. The last date of submission GSoC proposal is 31st March.

Thanks,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by carlopav »

kryptokommunist wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 pm I'm Marcus, 24 and currently studying Computer Science masters at TU Berlin. I started using FreeCAD about 2 months ago for a light installation project of mine. When I saw that FreeCAD is participating in GSoC I thought this is a good match. I was a bit unsure because the schedule collided with my semester, but due to Corona I think my semester won’t likely happen anyways. So here I am.

What I considered:
  1. enabling easy publishing of a parameterised Model to the Web (Select parameters that should be tweakable in FreeCAD and then create a render library for the web that exposes those tweakable parameters)

I could implement one of these ideas as a stepping stone for the idea above first:

1. default spreadsheet with all the parameters added in the GUI
    2. also the iPython Notebook integration would be related to this idea as well, as far as I understood it the idea was to render the model with Javascript/WebGL. From what I read on the forum I am unsure if this issue is still open? At least in the bug tracker it is.
  2. And my kinda moonshot idea: creating a tool for light design, so you could add light elements into your model and preview light sources, shades, animations
I am strong in Python and my C++ experience consists mostly of Arduino projects. I've dabbled with Javascript, but never in a complex project.

So any feedback from you in terms of what is realistic and fits with FreeCADs goals? I am also open for other suggestions. My favourite would be a combination of 1, 1a and 1b.
Hello Markus and welcome to the forum!
Maybe we can ping ickby to make him aware of your proposal:
ickby wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 am ping
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:56 pm @GSoC applicants

I suggest all GSoC applicants submit their draft proposal so that the community can review it. The last date of submission GSoC proposal is 31st March.
This is a good idea. I have submitted issue #30: Measurement tool for FreeCAD

Also, while we're at it, what is the procedure for the follow-up ? I see that Yorik's proposal are labelled, is it done automagically or do I need to do something about it ? And, finally, how are the proposals filtered at the end, how are candidates affected, where can we find informations about the practical constraints ...

Thanks
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:22 pm
Also, while we're at it, what is the procedure for the follow-up ?
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:22 pm This is a good idea. I have submitted issue #30: Measurement tool for FreeCAD

Also, while we're at it, what is the procedure for the follow-up ? I see that Yorik's proposal are labelled, is it done automagically or do I need to do something about it ? And, finally, how are the proposals filtered at the end, how are candidates affected, where can we find informations about the practical constraints ...
Hi @Zolko,

You need to submit a proposal on GSoC website under BRL-CAD organisation with FreeCAD tag.

Student eligibility criteria: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/

You can also take examples from past GSoC proposals: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 29#p172591

How GSoC works?
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 am You need to submit a proposal on GSoC website under BRL-CAD organisation with FreeCAD tag.
Thank-you. I fail to understand how to set a label/tag. So my proposal is still virgin: no FreeCAD tag, no Python, no difficulty ... How can I assign a FreeCAD tag ?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:37 am Thank-you. I fail to understand how to set a label/tag. So my proposal is still virgin: no FreeCAD tag, no Python, no difficulty ... How can I assign a FreeCAD tag ?
I think normally, that is something one fo the admins can do. It maybe possible to self-assign a label though.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:37 am
amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 am You need to submit a proposal on GSoC website under BRL-CAD organisation with FreeCAD tag.
Thank-you. I fail to understand how to set a label/tag. So my proposal is still virgin: no FreeCAD tag, no Python, no difficulty ... How can I assign a FreeCAD tag ?
Hi @Zolko

You need to choose tag "freecad" while submitting draft proposal under proposal details. I attached screenshot for reference.

Thanks,
Attachments
ProposalSubmitUnderFreeCAD.png
ProposalSubmitUnderFreeCAD.png (136.53 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm Hi @Zolko

You need to choose tag "freecad" while submitting draft proposal under proposal details. I attached screenshot for reference.
Thank-you for your help, but I must be really stupid: in which page do you get those options ? What is the starting point ? I see many links to everything, but I don't find one that would say: click here to apply. Does such a link exist ?
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:13 pm Thank-you for your help, but I must be really stupid: in which page do you get those options ? What is the starting point ? I see many links to everything, but I don't find one that would say: click here to apply. Does such a link exist ?
Here is the link: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 230420480/

Thanks,