GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Further wishes:

1. cosmetic thread in PartDesign hole, representation in Techdraw

2. variable radii for PartDesign and the ability to define radii at points along edges through which the variable radius passes. See:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p258650
chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm Ticket: issue #3608
3. surface- or curves workbench, Gordon Surface with the possibility to make the surface tangential to neighbouring surfaces.

4. sketcher and Techdraw tangential dimensioning between two arcs, see:

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
-alex-
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by -alex- »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm A proper measurement tool that is available from all tools and a few more options than current (Part) one (diameter distence between 2 holes etc)
I still think that this is an absolute priority, it's quite visible and fun for newcomers, and since it doesn't interfere with other modules — it's only an observer — it's a very good candidate for GSOC. And also since it's non-intrusive, anything that they can come up with will be an improvement.
+1

My 2 cents, measurement informations could be displayed for eg. in the status bar, as a quick way to get measure information at first sight.
For eg. while selecting:
- 2 vertex: you get the distance value, plus dx, dy, dz coordonates
- 2 lines: if line are parallel -> distance between lines and total lenght, if not -> angle
- 2 faces: if faces are parallel -> distance between faces and total surface, if not -> angle
- if it's a circle or a cylyndrical surface you get "Diameter = ..." , but if it's an arc or a partial cylindrical surface you get "Radius = ..."
- and so on....
Measure_tool_status_bar.png
Measure_tool_status_bar.png (79.17 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
mmiscool

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by mmiscool »

3d views and annotation workbench for producing PMI for fully digital delivery of annotations.

Hello,
I have been a Siemens NX user for many years now.

It would be nice to this kind of workflow in FreeCAD.

In NX there is a concept of Views and PMI.
A View is basically a camera position. You create one by orienting the main 3d view, zooming/panning/spinning flowed by executing a command from the UI called create view.

A view could contain children elements of dimensions, annotations, view specific geometry like explosion lines, center marks, and geometry translations (moves). Translations in a view should not affect the actual model but be view specific.

Double clicking on a PMI view from the list of PMI views restores that view with all of its child elements applied.

There are 3 workflows that are supported down stream from this.
  • First is viewing the data in 3d where the user can spin and views the model.
  • Second images exported of the view can be inserted in to build instructions, inspection procedures, ect.
  • Third the PMI view can be inserted in to a drawing sheet carrying with it the orientation and annotations.

See thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42547

I am specifically interested in drawing free disclosure of model data and annotations but there certainly is a use case for adding PMI views in to a drafting sheet in more traditional workflows.

The following video is a good example of this kind of workflow.
phpBB [video]
My main project is https://autodrop3d.com
Effort on https://github.com/mmiscool/FC-Docker FreeCAD for cloud with browser based access has been discontinued in favor of focused development on https://github.com/xibyte/jsketcher
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

So it's time for us to formulate proposals as a mentor org.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Hello everyone,

During previous year GSoC, I worked on project "Automate Reinforcement Process". I am willing to continue work on this and complete full workflow.

Now with rebar addon we are able to create reinforcement in the structural elements but the automatic drawing of a structural element after reinforcement with dimensions is still pending.

So, I am thinking of implementing above during this GSoC in FreeCAD.

@All, What is your opinion for this?

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 am
So, I am thinking of implementing above during this GSoC in FreeCAD.
And following list of features/improvements:
1. Modify current beam reinforcement code to use mutithreading to make it fast. Presently, beam reinforcement creation is slow beacause all rebars processing is done in same thread, which can be speedup by creating strirrups, left, right, top, bottom rebars in different threads.
2. Implement lap joint in rebars.
e.g. If we have 3 story building, then length of single rebar, normally 12ft, is not enough from start to end of column. So, there needs to add joint between two rebars as done here: https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... efault.jpg
3. Implement master configuration for Rebar Addon. It will be useful like we configure rebars for single column and store all the setup (using custom configuration files) and reapply this configuration on other columns.
4. Create reinforcement for multiple beams/columns in one go. And then for beams/columns of entire building using single click.
5. Create tool for creating reinforcement in stairs. Presently, it is very time consuming task.

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 am
Now with rebar addon we are able to create reinforcement in the structural elements but the automatic drawing of a structural element after reinforcement with dimensions is still pending.
Hello everyone,

I also found the above idea listed here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2018
And more info here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Extended_fu ... ebar_Addon

I am creating draft proposal for above project here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFw ... sp=sharing

You all are welcome to give your valuable suggestions.
Also @cnirbhay, @yorik, @bernd, @hardeeprai, @chakkree and @amrit3701 for their keen interest in this functionality according to their discussion here back in Aug 2016.

Thanks,
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 pm So it's time for us to formulate proposals as a mentor org.
what is the process ?

I would like to propose an improved measurement tool. Currently there are 2 half-finished ones (from the PartWB and from the ManipulatorWB) and none is practically usable. A good measurement tool would be able to measure 1 object (radius, length...) and distances between 2 objects (circles centres, edges, angle between planes, dist-X, dist-Y...) and must work with all solids, but also links and datum objects. The idea would have to have 1 command/button that would pop-up a dialog, which then lets measure whatever we want, and when done the dialog can be closed and is not in the way anymore.

How can I propose this ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Zolko wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am I would like to propose an improved measurement tool.
I'd love to see this implemented
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Zolko wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am How can I propose this ?
Well, I would look at https://github.com/opencax/GSoC
It's the 'umbrella' repo that is used by BRLCAD and other software that all apply to GSOC under 1 organization.
Check-out the open projects. Then you can write your own proposal using that as a template.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs