GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by Zolko »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm A proper measurement tool that is available from all tools workbenches and a few more options than current (Part) one (diameter, distance between 2 holes etc)
yes, this is a fundamental tool to have to be able to do real engineering. Also, this measurement tool should be App::Link aware (be able to measure stuff between 2 App::Link-ed objects)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zolko
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:39 pm Good idea to combine Transform and Placement.
I think that's already the case: the Transform tool applied on an object changes the Placement of that object, in the same way as if you'd change the Placement manually.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

As I'm reviewing these suggestions, it made me think a bit about what, exactly, the scope of a GSOC project should be. Obviously, it has to be tightly constrained - these are students and they only get a few months to work on something they likely have little or no previous exposure with.

So, if you ask me (and no one has ;)), the needs of FreeCAD *could* be roughly prioritized as follows:

1. Code maintenance
a. Abstraction
b. Standardizing the API across different parts
c. Eliminating or fixing dependency and packaging issues

2. Bug Fixes - fixing what doesn't work or was implemented incorrectly / incompletely

3. New module implementations (adding entirely new subsystems that are in really good shape, like PyFlow)

4. New feature implementations

Of course, within each priority are very complex problems as well as low-hanging fruit. Thus, an easy feature implementation would likely be a better candidate than a complex code maintenance issue, even if we need the code maintenance badly.

Still, I get the feeling we *really* need to just be fixing / maintaining what we've already got, especially if we want to be serious about releasing FreeCAD v1.0 in the near future... If I had to choose, I'd emphasize only the proposals that addressed #1 or #2. Werner and Kurt could use a few favors, after all.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Can I suggest improving Coin3D?

Since we are going to stay with Coin3D and OpenGL forever (there is too much dependent code to make a transition to different scenegraph), maybe we could make Coin3D a bit more modern?

FreeCAD have to render viewport much faster to be competitive to any commercial CAD. There are some notes how OpenGL rendering performance can be improved:

OpenGL like Vulkan - there is a "cad scene" example inside

Approaching zero driver overhead

The OpenGL-based implementation can be replaced by a Vulkan-based one slowly, bit by bit. There is OpenGL-Vulkan interoperability example https://github.com/jherico/Vulkan/blob/ ... nterop.cpp
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

This is a bit self-serving, but it sure would be nice to do all those HLR edge intersection calculations in parallel.

Could be changing the OCC code, could be writing a new FC HLR routine. C++, multi-threading, multi-core.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by Kunda1 »

Importatnt Note: GSOC 2020 is officially Green Light
Per @yorik in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42452
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm A proper measurement tool that is available from all tools and a few more options than current (Part) one (diameter distence between 2 holes etc)
I still think that this is an absolute priority, it's quite visible and fun for newcomers, and since it doesn't interfere with other modules — it's only an observer — it's a very good candidate for GSOC. And also since it's non-intrusive, anything that they can come up with will be an improvement.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm A proper measurement tool that is available from all tools and a few more options than current (Part) one (diameter distence between 2 holes etc)
I still think that this is an absolute priority, it's quite visible and fun for newcomers, and since it doesn't interfere with other modules — it's only an observer — it's a very good candidate for GSOC. And also since it's non-intrusive, anything that they can come up with will be an improvement.
Actually, there are already 2 measurement tools available:

• in the Part workbench
  • in the Manipulator workbench (Caliper tool)
Unfortunately none of them are really usable. But they can give a good starting point for GSOC participants, on which to improve.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Zolko wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 pm ...
  • in the Part workbench
  • in the Manipulator workbench (Caliper tool)
Unfortunately none of them are really usable. But they can give a good starting point for GSOC participants, on which to improve.
That's why i called it a proper measerment tool ;)
measuring is a very important work and i do it a lot in my daily work... but with FC this is horreble!!