Converting the Libre/Open Source Camera:AXIOM in FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sebastian

Converting the Libre/Open Source Camera:AXIOM in FreeCAD

Postby Sebastian » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Hello everyone!

I signed up here because of this invitation:
https://github.com/apertus-open-source- ... -531789758

I am one of the guys working on the AXIOM open source (open hardware and free software) digital cinema camera and looking for collaboration/to learn to convert our current ongoing CAD designs (mainly done in onshape) to FreeCAD.

This is how its supposed to be looking in the end:

And here is a very recent article about how it looks right now:
https://www.apertus.org/axiom-team-talk ... pe-article

So how would you recommend to get started?
From technical drawings I create for CNC machining? Or from a 3D format (step, stl, iges, etc.)?
chrisb

Re: Converting the Libre/Open Source Camera:AXIOM in FreeCAD

Postby chrisb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I would recommend STEP format and use the imported solids as references to external geometry in sketches. After having finished the sketch I would remove the external geometry elements and add the appropriate constraints. If the STEP objects are no longer needed they can be removed from the model.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Sebastian wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Hello everyone!
Welcome to the forum, Sebastian ;)

That render is a thing of beauty.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:55 am

Kunda1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:56 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Hello everyone!
Welcome to the forum, Sebastian ;)

That render is a thing of beauty.
Many thanks!

So here are the last parts we had produced (I am in the process of making changes/improvements to those currently but since I am not done there are no finished technical drawings or STEP files yet): https://cloud.gerade.org/index.php/s/Ef9bY9myQy3qCR3
These should provide a perfect training ground. There are more complex parts like Capt Top, Cap Bottom or Frontplate and more simple parts like Outer Skin, Side Plate, Back Clamp and Plugin Holder.
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 am

Hi Sebastian, Welcome,

Would be great that you can give some details about how you expect the community here to help you. ;)
On the previous case, community offers to re-model the parts with FC and push it to the project.
But maybe you're more interested in having the job done by yourself and get from the FC community only reviews & advice. :)
Anyway great project.
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Something to get started. No drawings, just the models. That is all for today :)
Attachments
Power Adapter Module V2.FCStd
(115.05 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Outer Skin_B3A.FCStd
(61.15 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Shield Module Attachment Cover.FCStd
(76.02 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Button Plate_V1.FCStd
(34.75 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Back Clamp_V4.FCStd
(83.34 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:38 am

openBrain wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 am
Would be great that you can give some details about how you expect the community here to help you. ;)
On the previous case, community offers to re-model the parts with FC and push it to the project.
But maybe you're more interested in having the job done by yourself and get from the FC community only reviews & advice. :)
Anyway great project.
Thanks, that's a very good question actually that will need some discussion I think.

As our project is still in heavy development and I am working on the CAD design of it almost daily I don't think it would be a good idea to "just have someone convert the parts to FreeCAD" - maybe the right time for this would be when we finished the prototyping stage and parts can be considered "complete". The second option is that I convert the parts and learn the required things along the way - I need to balance my resources between getting the CAD done and learning FreeCAD though - but I am ready to dedicate a limited amount of hours each week to FreeCAD learning. Maybe the best approach would be if someone from the community could give feedback on best practices when I hit particular bumps or need pointers. I generally know my way around solidedge, solidworks, inventor, onshape, etc. as they all follow the same work methods so the big challenge for me is adapting a new way of doing things :)

Having good practice examples of parts that have been converted by the community would definitely also help me a lot as well.

I do not expect this project to be completed quickly but I am ready to stick around.
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:39 am

Side plate drawing has no position info for those screw holes:
Attachments
SidePlateDim.JPG
SidePlateDim.JPG (57.84 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 am

Sebastian wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:38 am
The second option is that I convert the parts and learn the required things along the way - I need to balance my resources between getting the CAD done and learning FreeCAD though - but I am ready to dedicate a limited amount of hours each week to FreeCAD learning. Maybe the best approach would be if someone from the community could give feedback on best practices when I hit particular bumps or need pointers. I generally know my way around solidedge, solidworks, inventor, onshape, etc. as they all follow the same work methods so the big challenge for me is adapting a new way of doing things
Well, there are a few benefits to utilizing this forum:
You have more eyes and subsequently more diverse feedback from professionals/enthusiasts of different backgrounds looking at your designs/parts.
The possibility of running Finite Element Analyses on your models.
Another avenue for PR

Of course you're going to experience a significant learning curve jumping from Solidworks to FC. But if you've seen the activity on this Forum and even in this thread it's a very high probability that you'll have support, and highly engaged support at that. FYI, there is a high quality series of videos targeted for Solidworks users trying to learn FreeCAD made by @Celica_Supra aka JOKO Engineering. A word to the wise, familiarize yourself with key-shortcuts (it will cut down on time and clicks).
Celica_Supra wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 am
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am

Here is the side plate. I model those as training for myself so feel free to do whatever you want with them. Also hope you could pick some modeling techniques with your mnodels which is always more interesting.
Attachments
Side Plate_V3.FCStd
(218.38 KiB) Downloaded 8 times