Feature Request: default file type when export

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RafaelRS

Feature Request: default file type when export

Post by RafaelRS »

Currently when you do export (and i am doing it to STL) it always offer first to export to AMF type. So i have every time to scroll file types to select STL. That's annoying when you do it several times:
- export
- open in Cura to print or find corrections to do
- correct in FreeCAD
- export again
and that may repeat many times.

And that's annoying that i have every time to select file type.

Best option will be have some setting says file type used to export everytime by default.

Also suggestion about file name while export to do it not blank, but filename of current editing FCStd file OR name of model you selected to export (this prefferable to be able tune by settings too)
bernd
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: default file type when export

Post by bernd »

RafaelRS wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 am Currently when you do export (and i am doing it to STL) it always offer first to export to AMF type. So i have every time to scroll file types to select STL. That's annoying when you do it several times:
And that's annoying that i have every time to select file type.
Best option will be have some setting says file type used to export everytime by default.
Also suggestion about file name while export to do it not blank, but filename of current editing FCStd file OR name of model you selected to export (this prefferable to be able tune by settings too)
These are surely good points! For me it is not stl but ifc instead. You should make a feature request on mantis in this regard.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is at least partly system dependent. On MacOS I get the last selection, I only have to fill in a filename. If you use Ubuntu you can choose to use the native system dialog. Perhaps that works better.

Nevertheless I think too you should create a ticket - unless there is already one, which is to be checked.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Isn't this WB dependend?

When exporting a fileformat from a WB that isn't used yet could create a situation that the file should be exported to a file format that isn't known by the system yet...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Also you can quite easily automate things in a macro. ;)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

openBrain wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 am Also you can quite easily automate things in a macro. ;)
Eg. this will export selected objects in the same folder as FC file, with same name except STL extension :

Code: Select all

import Mesh
fn = App.ActiveDocument.FileName
sel = Gui.Selection.getSelection()
if fn != '' and len(sel) > 0:
    en = fn[:fn.rfind('.')] + '.stl'
    ret = Mesh.export(Gui.Selection.getSelection(),en)
    App.Console.PrintMessage("\nExported selected object of " + fn + " to " + en)
elif fn == '':
    App.Console.PrintError("\nActive document has no filename, not able to export")
else:
    App.Console.PrintError("\nNo object selected, canceled")
You can bind it to a custom icon & keyboard shortcut. ;)
Attachments
ExportSTL.FCMacro
(449 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times