OpenXR/OpenVR (virtual reality support), new Python workbench WiP

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: OpenXR/OpenVR (virtual reality support)

Post by Kunda1 »

kwahoo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm Another update:
Added some navigation using controllers - see video in the first post:
stick/trackpad of the first controller controls world translation, the second one controls rotation.

Dear VR users, please let me know if you need precompiled packages for testing. If not, the first post contains some building from source tips.
Nice!

Quick questions,
How stable is this fork so far? How far is it from being merged in to master?
This branch is 7 commits ahead, 720 commits behind FreeCAD:master.
Do you mind rebasing your fork so you stay up to date with master (so when the time comes we can merge this seamlessly)

My vote: please provide precompiled packages for testing by default so we can announce that this is available for testing. Best for testers to come here and find a link that they can test without delay.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 pm Nice!

Quick questions,
How stable is this fork so far? How far is it from being merged in to master?
This branch is 7 commits ahead, 720 commits behind FreeCAD:master.
Do you mind rebasing your fork so you stay up to date with master (so when the time comes we can merge this seamlessly)
While it seems to be stable for me, I don't want to merge it in the near future. At this moment it is just testing waters: what works in VR and what does not.

The nearest days plan is:
1. Rebase (CMakelists/FreeCAD Helpers need manual merge)
2. Make some packages, especially for Windows, since compilation is pretty tricky here
3. Work on navigation and performance
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kwahoo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 pm While it seems to be stable for me, I don't want to merge it in the near future. At this moment it is just testing waters: what works in VR and what does not.

The nearest days plan is:
1. Rebase (CMakelists/FreeCAD Helpers need manual merge)
2. Make some packages, especially for Windows, since compilation is pretty tricky here
3. Work on navigation and performance
Fair enough. Perhaps we can make some AppImages for testing?
I think realthunder made some scripts for creating AppImages for FC forks, but I've never used them.
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCADMakeImage
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

I am working on it. Realthunder's scripts are pretty neat, since they can make packages for both Linux and Windows.

Meanwhile I updated original post with link for Windows release.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kwahoo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:32 pm I am working on it. Realthunder's scripts are pretty neat, since they can make packages for both Linux and Windows.

Meanwhile I updated original post with link for Windows release.
Nice! :+1:
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

It took me long, but there is an AppImage and a Windows package made with realthunder's scripts https://github.com/kwahoo2/FreeCAD/rele ... 19_preVR-1

I'm not going to pursue merging the OpenVR implementation with the mainline. We should support only 100% open standards in the mainline.

The obvious and the only sane next step is moving to OpenXR - an open standard by the Khronos Group. At this moment OpenXR is implemented on Linux by Monado and on Windows by Oculus Runtime and by Windows Mixed Reality.

I'll check if I could use Monado with Valve Index on Linux. Docs say nothing about that, but there are some the Index-specific parts in the sources of Monado. W'll see... next year;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This is awesome news! How often will this fork be rebased on FC master (and generate a new downloadable AppImage and windows executable?)
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Rebase can be done in any moment, since the implementation does not touch core of the FreeCAD. I know it currently shows "323 commits behind FreeCAD:master.", but reality is "make a rebase, wake up next morning... a see "this branch is 50 commits behind"" ;)

I'm going to make binary releases after every bigger code update - with realthunder's scripts building is like "press the button, done".
Kjetil

Post by Kjetil »

I would love to have google cardboard support and not beeing forced to buy expensive vr-sets

Maybe it would be easier to use unity for rendering the vr.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Kjetil wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 pm I would love to have google cardboard support and not beeing forced to buy expensive vr-sets
If you have an AMD GPU, Windows and a modern smartphone you can use AMD Radeon ReLive for VR to stream SteamVR/OpenVR apps including FreeCAD.