UI usability tweaks/preferences

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wallclimber21

UI usability tweaks/preferences

Post by wallclimber21 »

Hello All,

I'm picking up/relearning FreeCAD after a few years of not using it, and I'm running 0.18.xxx on OSX, on a 15" retina MacBook.

I have a few usability issues and I wonder if there's a way to change them with a setting that I've overlooked.
  • Selecting points or lines is extremely sensitive. I don't know if this is due to the resolution of my screen, but it would help me enormously if the trigger area around points or edges where larger. Right now, it requires extreme touchpad precision to place the cursor just right so that you select an edge or a point instead of a face. This is especially true in the sketcher. In the tutorial videos that I've watched, I see that the presenters often struggle with the same issue. Is there a way to increase the trigger area?
  • This sounds dumb, but the x/y/z sign at the bottom right of the edit window is very small. Small enough that even with my glasses on, I can barely see the difference between x and y. Is there a way to increase the size of that sign?
  • Meanwhile, the toolbar icons are much larger than necessary (and much larger than I remember them to be, 2 or 3 years ago.) So if there's a way to have those 2x smaller...
  • Finally, when switching between modes (e.g. Part -> Part Design), the location of the toolbars is not (or not always?) retained. Sometimes, they end up far too the right, with most of the icons falling off. So I need to drag them back into a sensible place.
That's it for now!

Any suggestions?

Tom
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: UI usability tweaks/preferences

Post by Kunda1 »

wallclimber21 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm Selecting points or lines is extremely sensitive. I don't know if this is due to the resolution of my screen, but it would help me enormously if the trigger area around points or edges where larger. Right now, it requires extreme touchpad precision to place the cursor just right so that you select an edge or a point instead of a face. This is especially true in the sketcher. In the tutorial videos that I've watched, I see that the presenters often struggle with the same issue. Is there a way to increase the trigger area?
It's called the 'Pick Radius' you can change it this way:
phpBB [video]
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wallclimber21

Post by wallclimber21 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:56 pm It's called the 'Pick Radius' you can change it this way:
phpBB [video]
Display->Color (???) is not a very intuitive location for an UI interaction parameter.

But this will go a long way making my life easier.

Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Just for the record: what resolution has your display? There were - and perhaps still are - some issues concerning high resolution displays.
wallclimber21 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm
  • Meanwhile, the toolbar icons are much larger than necessary (and much larger than I remember them to be, 2 or 3 years ago.) So if there's a way to have those 2x smaller...
Preferences->General->General->Size of toolbar icons.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wallclimber21 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm Display->Color (???) is not a very intuitive location for an UI interaction parameter.
I agree, and you aren't the first to say that. I'll open a ticket to address that.

Edit: issue #4147
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wallclimber21

Post by wallclimber21 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:23 pm Just for the record: what resolution has your display? There were - and perhaps still are - some issues concerning high resolution displays.
Mine is 2880x1800. It's probably some issue with Qt on OSX scaling up things to something reasonable, but only for standard UI components and not for things are rendered by the application.
wallclimber21 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm
Preferences->General->General->Size of toolbar icons.
Duh. That's something that's intuitive enough (but I added it to the list as I was already writing this post.)

Thanks!