new tree view behavior is less productive

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: new tree view behavior is less productive

Post by kisolre »

vocx wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm I think this is the Label2 attribute.
Shouldn't this be exposed in Data tab?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kisolre wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm Shouldn't this be exposed in Data tab?
Maybe, yeah. I'm not sure if this is implemented for all DocumentObjects, or just App::FeaturePython, or Part::FeaturePython, that is, those with 2D and 3D shapes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:22 pm There is another tree view issue:

- It is no longer possible to change the width of the Labels & Attributes column in the tree:
But you can't change the width in 0.18, either. Because there is only one column in 0.18 tree. I added another column for general purpose description or whatever. If auto sizing is not enabled, then it is possible to obscure the object names in the tree which will be more disturbing.

kisolre wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm Shouldn't this be exposed in Data tab?
You can edit the description directly in the tree, just like object labels.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

realthunder wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 pm But you can't change the width in 0.18, either.
Yes, but there is no need for that because when renaming you don't need more space. But now, renaming needs more space for the formula icon that will be displayed behind the name.
Why is it necessary to have the formula editor icon on the name fields?

Anyway, enabling to change the column width is just a Qt UI setting, And I think it should be enabled, independent of the formula editor icon.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 pm Yes, but there is no need for that because when renaming you don't need more space. But now, renaming needs more space for the formula icon that will be displayed behind the name.
Why is it necessary to have the formula editor icon on the name fields?
It allows the user to name the object with expression, but yeah, it should be considered as a power feature. I shall hide it by default.
Anyway, enabling to change the column width is just a Qt UI setting, And I think it should be enabled, independent of the formula editor icon.
Yes, it's easy to add.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

realthunder wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 am It allows the user to name the object with expression, but yeah, it should be considered as a power feature. I shall hide it by default.
OK, but document this please. By the way, where do I find info like about this feature?

realthunder wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 am Yes, it's easy to add.
Thanks.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:18 am OK, but document this please. By the way, where do I find info like about this feature?
It's an extension to the FC expression engine. Previously it can only bind to numerical property. Now it can bind to all. I have modified the PR thread for a temporary document of all the expression enhancement.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

realthunder wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 pm You can edit the description directly in the tree, just like object labels.
How? RMB/Rename edits the label, double click has corresponding action.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 am How? RMB/Rename edits the label, double click has corresponding action.
On MacOS I can edit the names with return key. And luckily the same works for the description :D ! This new possibility is highly welcome here, as I don't have to describe things in the label, as I do now.
Snip macro screenshot-c173cf.png
Snip macro screenshot-c173cf.png (20.56 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Tiny imbalance: The description should go at least up to the right end. There is no need to have something beyond.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

kisolre wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 am
realthunder wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 pm You can edit the description directly in the tree, just like object labels.
How? RMB/Rename edits the label, double click has corresponding action.
Click the description field of an object, and press F2. I'll modify the rename action for that too.