[Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog or About FreeCAD dialog?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog

Post by Kunda1 »

FYI, Assigning shortcuts (at least for me) is not possible ATM https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39858
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog or About FreeCAD dialog?

Post by Kunda1 »

I was also thinking that we could also assign a shortcut key for the About FreeCAD dialog. That way we can ask newbs to just hit ctrl+/ instead of Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard each time.

Related: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39935
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Request for Comment] Assigning Ctrl+/ to open the Preference Dialog or About FreeCAD dialog?

Post by chrisb »

I am all for a shortcut for copying the FreeCAD infos into the keyboard buffer. Just opening the dialog is not enough for me.

(Besides, you seem to be a fan of ctrl+/ , which can be used for very different things :lol: )
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm I am all for a shortcut for copying the FreeCAD infos into the keyboard buffer. Just opening the dialog is not enough for me.
This makes a lot of sense! A keyboard shortcut that immediately copies the About FreeCAD info in to your buffer, circumventing the whole dialog thing.
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm (Besides, you seem to be a fan of ctrl+/ , which can be used for very different things :lol: )
heh, yea..well, I'm interested in maintaining some uniformity and familiarity for folks.
Maybe the FreeCAD Preferences can be ctrl+,
and either the FreeCAD About Dialog or the immediate 'copy to buffer' idea be ctrl+/ ?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:51 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm I am all for a shortcut for copying the FreeCAD infos into the keyboard buffer. Just opening the dialog is not enough for me.
This makes a lot of sense! A keyboard shortcut that immediately copies the About FreeCAD info in to your buffer, circumventing the whole dialog thing.
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm (Besides, you seem to be a fan of ctrl+/ , which can be used for very different things :lol: )
heh, yea..well, I'm interested in maintaining some uniformity and familiarity for folks.
Maybe the FreeCAD Preferences can be ctrl+,
and either the FreeCAD About Dialog or the immediate 'copy to buffer' idea be ctrl+/ ?
I think these shortcuts can be useful but IMO ctrl+/ can be problematic, I don't know others but my keyboard layout doesn't have a direct / key, maybe ctrl+.? If you asign ctrl+/ would I be able to use it by pressing ctrl+shift+/?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 pm I think these shortcuts can be useful but IMO ctrl+/ can be problematic, I don't know others but my keyboard layout doesn't have a direct / key, maybe ctrl+.?
ctrl+. could work too.
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 pm If you asign ctrl+/ would I be able to use it by pressing ctrl+shift+/?
That's a good question, i have no idea.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If this function gets an entry in the Help menu, then the shortcut would be customizable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 pm If this function gets an entry in the Help menu, then the shortcut would be customizable.
Indeed, but that would complicate things even further, defeating this idea...
Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm That way we can ask newbs to just hit ctrl+/ instead of Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard each time.
I guess if ctrl+shift+/ works it wouldn't really be a problem
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

How much of the info is available through python?
I know this

Code: Select all

>>>print(';'+' '.join(FreeCAD.Version()[:3]))
;0 19 18504 (Git)
There is also info in master/src/Doc/ThirdPartyLibraries.html I don't know how this is generated.
"fight the good fight"