Preferences > Start > 'Option' Dialog

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Preferences > Start > 'Option' Dialog

Post by Kunda1 »

How does the Preferences > Start > 'Option' dialog differ from the Preferences > General > Start up ?
Tooltips-Pref-General-startup.png
Tooltips-Pref-General-startup.png (69.71 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Tooltips-Pref-Start-Options.png
Tooltips-Pref-Start-Options.png (85.87 KiB) Viewed 409 times
I'm testing using Pref > Start > Option and choosing a another workbench and i'm not seeing it being invoked. Is there some sort of collision with the other settings ? Also the options are missing tooltips.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Preferences > Start > 'Option' Dialog

Post by adrianinsaval »

Did some testing and my conclusion is that if you choose a different workbench in general, it opens up in that workbench and skips the start workbench, so it doesn't show the start page and the start workbench's settings have no effect. If you leave the start workbench selected in general then the start page is shown when you open FreeCAD and start workbench's settings take effect, switching to whatever workbench you selected but just when you open or create a file from the start page.

It is a little confusing...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems a matter of having Start workbench opened additionally or not. To me it would seem more logical if the workbench change from Start would happen on each file opening, not just on the first.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm I'm testing using Pref > Start > Option and choosing a another workbench and i'm not seeing it being invoked.
It's invoked correctly using:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18504 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f66023a646db4b2502bb3637897443b3525ca3c7
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

and without going through all my saved builds, I believe it's always worked correctly on Windows since the initial teething troubles in 0.18pre when Yorik introduced the new Startpage.