Another thread workbench, maybe?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vesema3

Another thread workbench, maybe?

Post by vesema3 »

Dear community,
I was wondering if there is someone willing to (to write the code) automate the "process", that I have tested, for the creation of a thread?
I estimated, that it will take me a lot of time, first to learn some more advanced python scripting, which would probably be needed, and second to implement the idea into a working software code. I'm looking for someone who will like to freely distribute the code to the community. I think to give away the idea under a copyleft license, just for protection purposes, and because I think (haven't seen something similar), that there are some special features, that could be beneficial, when implemented into a given design.
Not really sure, but maybe an another thread workbench? Still, in any case this building technique would certainly need an automation.

Eh, of course in the end it could turn-up to be not really usable, no easy way to tell right from the start :).

Just checking the soil ;).

BR
Martin
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Another thread workbench, maybe?

Post by Kunda1 »

What is the 'thread workbench'? What do you mean by 'thread' ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I understand Thread workbench as a workbench which speeds up the manual construction of threads with cylinder, helix, section and sweep. It could take care of these corner cases which we so often have to deal with here in the forum (turn the helix against the cylinder, dont make things coplanar, make height of section small enough etc.).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Of course, thanks.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vesema3

Post by vesema3 »

Hi,
maybe I didn't explain it correctly.
The idea is to build something like let's say screw thread with arbitrary profile.
The user shall first create the profile at a given distance from the axis along, which the "thread" will spiral, and then maybe to execute a macro or I'm not really sure how to call the actual code, and then there should be fields, where you can put the step of the thread, the number of coils, and then quality of the thread, because the method I've tested creates unevenness along the faces of the spiral. In theory it could be almost as a real spiral surface, but i think in practice it will be very hardware demanding. Actually, the final result is a body.

BR
Martin
vesema3

Post by vesema3 »

The result should be something similar:
spiral1.jpg
spiral1.jpg (36.07 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
spiral2.jpg
spiral2.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
vesema3

Post by vesema3 »

So, anyone interested? Or to start reading the Python manual :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vesema3 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 pm So, anyone interested? Or to start reading the Python manual :D
It's super cool and merited. If you lay the groundwork for it it could attract even more folks. As you may have seen already, the FC community is pretty awesome and will offer support very readily on this forum. If you go ahead and lay more of the foundation for this workbench, there is a high probability that you'll attract interest and help. Especially if you document your journey and people feel the momentum and progress. Feel free to use the forum to ask questions about python or workbench creation. We're trying to get the documentation improved for this so you would be helping in more that just one way when you roll up your sleeves and tackle the learning curve
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Have you checked out this? Or is it not what you wanted?
vesema3

Post by vesema3 »

Yes, yes :). Exactly this workbench made me think of how it could be done like the other commercial CAD systems (revolve over spiral (helix)). Actually this approach (from your link) is very interesting and is probably more close to the real spiralling outer surface, than the approach I have tested.

P.S.: Actually, I should pay more close attention to the new developments in 0.18 version :oops:. This guy here already done it. Sorry, my bad :)