Make a FreeCAD high school version

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Make a FreeCAD high school version

Post by chrisb »

Crossposted with Herbert, who is, of course, right.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

just personalize the Toolbar and you have all what you need for a easy use
I will strip down some toolbars and see what that looks like. I'm not sure I can get what I want without hiding the properties tab, I really don't want anyone in there. Many will see this as a video game and try every option and value so things can get messed up quickly. Don't get me wrong here, I have lots of faith in kids but there are limits that need to be in place for a good teaching tool. The goal to success is the "Kiss approach".

I could imagine FreeCAD would start up with only one workbench . I could use the "Complete WB" to start but I still have an issue with properties. Edit: I see using Part Design and Sketcher.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I have noticed that I can drag the properties window down and make it disappear, does anyone know how I can make that permanent? Maybe modify the config file.
Thanks
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

freedman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm I have noticed that I can drag the properties window down and make it disappear, does anyone know how I can make that permanent? Maybe modify the config file.
Menue -> Panels, disable Combo View, enable Tree View. It will stay like you set it.
Gruß Herbert
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

What I see here; In Part Design, when I leave sketch FreeCAD auto opens combo view, then the properties are available once again.
Thanks
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi freedman
freedman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:43 pm What I see here; In Part Design, when I leave sketch FreeCAD auto opens combo view, then the properties are available once again.
Thanks
It's because you need the Propertie Box...
Gruß Herbert
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Years ago I started such a school workbench.
But after a year I returned to the core FreeCAD.
At school we can teach the workflow and the pupils learn the tools needed.
Starting with a school interface requires a relearning when the tasks become complexer in the 2nd year.
I only use special menus/workbenches for special projects
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I want to use a standard version of FreeCAD configured with unpopulated screen items to different levels, the simplest version (CAD-100) is stripped down to the basics. I would then repopulate some in CAD-102, 103 ect. Many things can be drawn in Part Design without the properties panel so I thought it would be good to remove it for CAD-100. Maybe I can't hide somethings without compiling myself.

The big hurdle is getting educators to test something. If they get lost when testing then it surely won't make it to the class room.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

freedman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:56 am Maybe I can't hide somethings without compiling myself.
On Windows, if it's using existing FreeCAD cmake options I'm willing to compile and package custom versions. I'm not sure this is the right path, but I have enough interest to invest some time in experimenting with different solutions.
"fight the good fight"
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

sgrogan, thank you. I will make some observations on a starting place over the next few days. I have some experience with customizing toolbars so I should be able to post some pictures of a few basic screens.

Thanks again.