Feature request: 2D sketch in 3D view

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature request: 2D sketch in 3D view

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:36 am OK! I looked all over :) , where is that icon "View sketch perpendicular to sketch plane"? Do you know?
It's in Sketcher. Looks similar to the CreateSketch icon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

It's in Sketcher. Looks similar to the CreateSketch icon.
There it is! That is perfect. Thanks, great idea. Feature request #3.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i understand correctly, what you would like to do, while in the Sketcher edit mode, try this macro command:

Code: Select all

try:
    ActiveSketch.ViewObject.TempoVis.restore()
except:
    pass
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Customize_Toolbars
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

@ triplus, I see where your headed but I tried both of these and they did nothing while in Sketcher.

Code: Select all

ActiveSketch.ViewObject.TempoVis.restore()
ActiveSketch.ViewObject.TempoVis.restoreCamera()
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16085 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

While in Sketcher workbench or while in Sketcher edit mode (editing sketch)?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I tried in Sketcher WB and and thru Part Design. And yes while in edit mode. What I'm doing; I go into sketcher, paste the command into the Python console and hit enter. I don't see anything change in the sketch window. I presume your seeing the view return to the original 3D saved view while in sketcher. I'm in gesture mouse mode. Anyone else out there that can try this.
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I tried triplus' code while in Sketcher.
I had skewed the sketch using Alt+Mouse. Executing the code did the same as "view sketch perpendicular to sketch plane". But it worked only once. Further tries of doing the same did nothing (visible).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

freedman wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:25 am I would like to get your thoughts;

1) The way I see Sketcher currently working (without the feature request); Let's say you have a 10 story building and your zoomed in at the first floor, in the tree you click on a sketch of a unique 10th floor item and sketcher opens a sketch window, the issue here is the fact that the sketch items are up on the 10th floor and sketcher opens at the current location. Sketcher does not select a sketch center when opening.
Sometimes it would be handy to have Sketcher open with the same view that existed when Sketcher was closed, in the same manner that Part Design can return to the same view that existed just before a Sketch is edited in Sketcher.

I suppose that if that was the default behavior then people would set the desired view just before closing the Sketch, although it could alternatively be a future Preference setting (I wonder if one day the number of Preferences settings will become overwhelming).
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I have linked 3 feature requests to this thread so I would like to close it (unless there is additional info about the topic) so it doesn't get too long :) . I will start another post with some thoughts about sketcher transitions.
Thanks
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@freedman can you comment on issue #6004. TY
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs