macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:56 pm P.S. As for the Conda macOS packages. AFAIK there is no FOSS counterpart, like there is one for Linux, therefore the question for @looo i guess is, if the same step could be included in the build procedure on Conda, or not? That is adding a step of downloading and installing the 3DConnexion frameworks, before building the FreeCAD?
I am not sure if it will work but I copied the mentioned lines which should enable the space-mouse support:
https://github.com/looooo/freecad-feeds ... 7f7a30cbbf

edit: cmake is still not detecting the space-mouse. I tried to set:

Code: Select all

FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION:BOOL=ON
3DCONNEXIONCLIENT_FRAMEWORK:FILEPATH=/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework
https://dev.azure.com/sppedflyer/feedst ... 173a7d951b

edit2: still not working:

Could NOT find Spnav (missing: SPNAV_LIBRARY SPNAV_INCLUDE_DIR) 
triplus
Veteran

Re: macOS: Possible to have 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support built into official releases?

Post by triplus »

Likely one of the people from macOS camp should get involved, to help you out. Not finding Spnav might not be an issue at all. Once the CMake step completes, check if the FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION was set to on. If yes, that indicates you are on the right track. After compiling best if somebody tests if it is working or not.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 am FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION

FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION=
empty :(

but

[2126/3362] Building CXX object src/Gui/CMakeFiles/FreeCADGui.dir/3Dconnexion/GuiNativeEventMac.cpp.o
which was not build for older builds. So I guess I have done my job. Now it's your turn mac users.
PistonPin

Post by PistonPin »

hajduk wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm
PistonPin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 pm
triplus wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 am Another tutorial (Conda oriented):

https://vectronic.io/posts/building-fre ... ing-conda/
Thanks for the links, triplus! The second one was what I've used to build my semi-working version. :)

I will have a look at the Travis file and give it another go over the weekend. (I'm going to install a fresh macOS on a seperate hard drive for development tasks like this, so that I have a clean starting point.)
Pistonpin,

did you have any success?
Currently I am very hesitant to move upwards from 0.17 as I need the 3Dconnexion device.

Regards

Martin
Hey Martin,

no, unfortunately not. I've installed a fresh version of macOS 10.13 on an external hard disk just for building FreeCAD, but it always fails at some point. :(
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

PistonPin wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 pm
hajduk wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm
Pistonpin,

did you have any success?
Currently I am very hesitant to move upwards from 0.17 as I need the 3Dconnexion device.

Regards

Martin
Hey Martin,

no, unfortunately not. I've installed a fresh version of macOS 10.13 on an external hard disk just for building FreeCAD, but it always fails at some point. :(
This is sad!

I started the Conda installation and tried to build it myself, but it strangely does this after following the advise posted above from vectronic:

git clone https://github.com/conda-forge/freecad-feedstock
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer), missing xcrun at: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcrun

I am a bit lost here, because this clearly is not my core competence.
Any idea?
Should I download the complete developer package from Apple first or is the SDK that one needs to download in the described process enough?

Thanks
Martin
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Please anyone test the latest Mac 0.19 build available from github release page. I think space mouse should be enabled.

Regarding building freecad in osx with conda-packages please have a look here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36151 (WIP)
Last edited by looo on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

looo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Please anyone test the latest Mac 0.19 build available from github release page. I think space mouse should be enabled.
Couldn't find SpaceMouse, but in gesture mode there is a "Mouse" button :
Mouse.png
Mouse.png (325.52 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
looo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Regarding building freecad in osx with conda-packages please have a look here:
Missing the link
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

looo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Please anyone test the latest Mac 0.19 build available from github release page. I think space mouse should be enabled.

Regarding building freecad in osx with conda-packages please have a look here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36151 (WIP)
Yes! It is working now. Just downloaded and tested it.
Only slight pain: Axes are swapped (pushing down will move the object further away etc.)
Cannot remember where to map the axes in a different way, but at least this is a good starting point!
Thank you very much!

When I click on "Mouse" in the preferences, only an information window is displayed.
No changes / settings can be changed.
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

hajduk wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm
Yes! It is working now. Just downloaded and tested it.
Only slight pain: Axes are swapped (pushing down will move the object further away etc.)
Cannot remember where to map the axes in a different way, but at least this is a good starting point!
Thank you very much!

When I click on "Mouse" in the preferences, only an information window is displayed.
No changes / settings can be changed.
Ok, fixed this...
RTFM ... "tools... customise.... 3Dmouse....flip y/z" or so, that's it!
Fully running now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Great!