FreeCAD's Google rating

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

FreeCAD's Google rating

Post by chrisb »

I googled Onshape tonight and found two interesting things:
- First proposal for "Others searched for ..." is FreeCAD
- PTC wants to buy Onshape
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD's Google rating

Post by DeepSOIC »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 pm - First proposal for "Others searched for ..." is FreeCAD
We are getting somewhere :D
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

Unfortunatly when I type freecad in the search engine it always defaults to freecad.org instead of freecadweb.org
Other then buying that domain name and pointing it here I don't know how it could be fixed.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 pm - First proposal for "Others searched for ..." is FreeCAD
This is what we want!! now the same if we search for Solid Works haha :D
chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 pm - PTC wants to buy Onshape
PTC already aquired Onshape!!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The freecad.org owner (a company who buys domains and resells for a bitter price) is disposed to sell it (of course, that's what they do), I already did some enquiries... but they won't consider any offer below 1000 USD, to start with.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

yorik wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm The freecad.org owner (a company who buys domains and resells for a bitter price) is disposed to sell it (of course, that's what they do), I already did some enquiries... but they won't consider any offer below 1000 USD, to start with.
Time to get the free software foundation lawyers or whoever.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

yorik wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm The freecad.org owner (a company who buys domains and resells for a bitter price) is disposed to sell it (of course, that's what they do), I already did some enquiries... but they won't consider any offer below 1000 USD, to start with.
Get a firm price and start a fund raiser. With the number of people using the software it wouldn't take many dollars per person.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's not only the money, its giving the money to people who have done nothing for it except being parasites.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 pm It's not only the money, its giving the money to people who have done nothing for it except being parasites.
I agree. It's a matter of principle. Getting that domain would be nice, but it's not a priority at all. Besides, every day that nobody buys that domain, they lose money by keeping it. We can play the long game, and take it from them if they vacate it. And meanwhile we can use the old, trusty freecadweb.org; there is no rush.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

I once tried to get my name as a domain name, it turned out to be registered to some 8 year old, for his birthday. He's in his late 20's now, and the page is blank, but still registered to him.

You can take the high road never get the domain name, or you can pay the money. Sometimes it's just better to pay.

The cost to keep a domain name is negligible, especially for someone in the business who buys in bulk.

View it as a cost of doing business. (I know this isn't a business, but it can be treated like one). They've invested in the name thinking it would be worth something someday and if you think it is, then be willing to pay for it. After all, you could have made the same investment if you had thought of it.

Be pragmatic. Sometimes you have to just hold your nose and deal with the BS.

Looking at domains available with freecad

Freecad.com is "make an offer"
Freecad.org is 4092.51
FreeCad.ca is $10.99
FreeCad.website is $6.59
FreeCad.tech is $15.83

So there are a few options available, all I would guess are an improvement on freecadweb.org
It might be worth spending a hundred on various names point them all to freecadweb.org and see which have the most traction.